Daredevils are the most balanced team in IPL: SekarApril 2nd, 2009 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 2 (IANS) Delhi Dearedevils manager T.A. Sekar is upbeat about the team’s chances in the second edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) and feels it is the most balanced side in the Twenty20 competition.
With a good mix of hard-hitting batsmen, all-rounders and steady bowling, the team has plenty of options, Sekar said.
The induction of five more international players this season has added to the strength of the side that reached the semi-final last year.
“Delhi Daredevils walk into the IPL with probably the most balanced combination,” Sekar said.
“We have the best opening pair in the world in Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir, both of whom are in excellent form. Then we have A.B. de Villiers and Dilshan Tillakaratne, who were important to the team last year,” Sekar was quoted as saying by Daredevils website.
Australia’s latest sensation David Warner is the biggest catch for Daredevils this season. They have also brought two other Australian players - all-rounder Andrew McDonald and Dirk Nannes. Former England One-day captain Paul Collingwood, one of the most athletic fielders in the world and Owais Shah were also picked up in the second IPL auction in Goa.
“Our gameplan was to get a couple of hard-hitting batsmen and a couple of all-rounders into the side.”
“Kiwi skipper Daniel Vettori and India spinner Amit Mishra will be a vital part of the team,” Sekar said.
“Among the new-ball bowlers, there will be sufficient options. We have the legendary Glenn McGrath, Farveez Maharoof of Sri Lanka, Collingwood, Dirk Nannes, and Ashish Nehra will lend solidity to the bowling line-up.”
- Dinda and Hopes move to Pune from Delhi - Feb 27, 2012
- Foreign players also benefit from IPL: Sekar - Mar 25, 2012
- Mahela to lead Daredevils in T20 Champions League - Sep 14, 2012
- Daredevils delighted with new acquisitions - Feb 04, 2012
- Daredevils looking for a home win against Deccan Chargers - Apr 18, 2011
- This is how 10 teams shape up for IPL-4 - Apr 07, 2011
- IPL final: Chennai Super Kings primed for hat-trick (Preview) - May 26, 2012
- Daredevils come out in support of Sehwag - Feb 27, 2012
- Daredevils have all-round strength to be top dogs (Team Profile) - Apr 16, 2009
- Delhi Daredevils: Simmons promoted head coach, Sekar is team manager - Dec 22, 2011
- Simmons promoted as head coach of Delhi Daredevils (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Daredevils signs up Victorian fast bowler Nannes - Jan 27, 2009
- Tendulkar powers Mumbai Indians to a 98-run win (Lead) - Mar 18, 2010
- Sri Lanka recalls Maharoof as cover - May 24, 2011
- Delhi Daredevils appoint Jayawardene vice-captain - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: andrew mcdonald, ashish nehra, balanced combination, captain paul, collingwood, daniel vettori, david warner, de villiers, dilshan, farveez maharoof, fielders, gameplan, gautam gambhir, glenn mcgrath, ipl, mishra, rounder, sehwag, sekar, solidity