Dara Adam Khel becoming a safe haven for local TalibanNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:08 am ICT by admin
They said that the inevitable “eruption” would have a direct affect on Peshawar and Kohat, two sensitive cities from a strategic point of view, whose importance is known to the Taliban.
“It would not be an exaggeration to say that the Taliban control Dara Bazaar and surrounding areas,” said one tribal elder.
He said that the local Taliban were attempting to win the people’s confidence by showing their “ability” to provide better law and order than the government.
The tribal elder said that the Taliban were banning music, shaving of beards and discouraging girls’ education.
Recently, construction work on a government-funded college for girls, on which Rs 80 million had been spent, was stopped after militants warned the contractor that his life was at risk if he continued work.
He said that the Taliban also interfered in affairs of local tribes - settling their disputes and taking decisions on pending issues.
According to several analysts, Dara appears to be a strategic point for local Taliban because the area can be used to arm the militants and can serve as a launching pad for an assault on Peshawar.
The military has already intercepted two weapons consignments booked for Waziristan militants.
“It is not an exaggeration to say that the Tailban are slowly reaching for Peshawar and the day is near when the metropolis will have serious security problems,” the Daily Times quoted a senior police official, as saying.
Meanwhile, 20 kilometres south of Peshawar cantonment, the Taliban have taken control of Mattni and told police that they “should not bother about security in the area, as the Taliban will make sure that the people’s life and property is safe”. (ANI)
- Twin blasts rock Pakistan's tribal area - Jan 29, 2011
- Two militant groups infighting led to suicide bombing at Darra Adamkhel mosque - Nov 06, 2010
- Eight die in suicide bombing in Pakistan tunnel (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Anti-Taliban Pakistani beheaded - Oct 28, 2011
- Car packed with arms seized in Pakistan - Jan 30, 2012
- 5 killed in Peshawar bomb blast (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Five blasts rock Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Two kids killed in Pakistan blast - Dec 31, 2011
- Pakistani jirga opposes military operations against Taliban - Jul 05, 2011
- 23 Taliban militants killed by Pak security forces in Orakzai - Apr 12, 2010
- Warring Kurram tribesmen wary Pak military's hand behind Haqqani group mediation - Oct 21, 2010
- Obama confirms Pakistan drone strikes - Jan 31, 2012
- Eight militants killed in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
- Sikhs in Pakistan pick up pieces of their shattered lives - Nov 01, 2010
- 43 more Taliban killed as Pak forces continue to pound militants in FATA - Jun 23, 2010
Tags: adam khel, beards, cantonment, consignments, dara, exaggeration, girls education, gravity of the situation, kohat, launching pad, militants, peshawar, police official, security problems, serious security, strategic point, taken control, taliban, told police, waziristan