Danish team prepare to launch first home-built rocket, astronaut into spaceAugust 24th, 2010 - 5:15 pm ICT by ANI
Copenhagen, Aug 24(ANI): A group of Danish engineers are preparing to launch a home-built rocket, along with a human passenger, over 100 kilometers into the sky.
The Copenhagen Suborbitals will launch the rocket called ‘HEAT 1X’ from a floating barge in the sea, 12 nautical miles from shore, this weekend.
It will be towed out there by a homemade submarine, built by one of the men behind the project.
Peter Madsen, who lives onboard the submarine, had founded Copenhagen Suborbitals with Kristian von Bengston with the aim of building the world’s largest amateur space rocket.
Over the last year-and-a-half they have led a team of volunteers to create the ‘HEAT 1X’ rocket, and the micro spacecraft it will launch, called Tycho Brahe-1.
Tycho Brahe-1 will carry one human passenger, in a half-seated position, into space and back down again.
The seat is designed to minimize the gravitational pull on the passenger’s spine. The person on board will also have to wear a pressure suit.
According to News.com.au, the spacecraft will travel in an arc, jettisoning the rocket about halfway up and eventually peaking more than 100 kilometers above the Earth before coming down.
After it re-enters the atmosphere, parachutes will be deployed to slow it before it hits the water. (ANI)
- Denmark's privately built rocket fails to lift off - Sep 06, 2010
- First private spacecraft launch to ISS delayed - Apr 25, 2012
- British firm hopes to loft tourists into space - Sep 27, 2010
- Microsoft co-founder announces space-travel venture - Dec 14, 2011
- China to launch spacecraft - Oct 26, 2011
- China launches one more satellite - Jul 30, 2011
- New evidence on what triggered ancient Supernovas - Apr 27, 2011
- India to launch advanced remote sensing satellite April 20 - Apr 09, 2011
- India successfully puts three satellites into orbit - Apr 20, 2011
- First commercial spacecraft docks with space station - May 26, 2012
- China to launch spacecraft for manned space docking - Jun 09, 2012
- Round-trip flights to Mars within a decade - Mar 22, 2012
- First private spacecraft launched to space station - May 22, 2012
- NASA hails new era in space - May 23, 2012
- NASA launches Jupiter probe - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: arc, astronaut, barge, bengston, copenhagen, danish engineers, danish team, gravitational pull, homemade submarine, kilometers, kristian, micro spacecraft, nautical miles, news com au, parachutes, peter madsen, pressure suit, space rocket, spine, tycho brahe