Danish journalist union sues anti-Islam groups over cartoonApril 18th, 2008 - 12:35 am ICT by admin
Copenhagen, April 17 (DPA) The Danish Union of Journalists said Thursday it wanted damages from two Danish anti-Islam groups that used a newspaper cartoonist’s work without his permission. Acting on behalf of cartoonist Kurt Westergaard, the union said it wanted 200,000 kroner ($42,000) in damages for the illegal use of the cartoon that depicted Prophet Mohammed with a bomb in his turban.
It was published on websites and placards in connection with a protest in March, despite a court order.
The cartoon also figured in a controversial anti-Islam film made by Dutch opposition legislator Geert Wilders, who later removed it after being contacted by the Danish Union of Journalists and its Dutch counterpart.
Westergaard’s cartoon was one of 12 published in newspapers that sparked violent protests in 2006 by Muslims worldwide and triggered a boycott of Danish goods.
Leading Danish newspapers reprinted the cartoons in February after Danish security police said they had averted an alleged plot to murder Westergaard.
- Controversial Danish cartoonist to publish memoirs - Aug 10, 2010
- Controversial cartoons: From arrests to murder attempts - May 11, 2012
- Norwegian newspaper reprints controversial Islam cartoons - Jan 08, 2010
- Cartoonist criticizes drawing in Dutch anti-Islam film - Mar 28, 2008
- Danish 'Mohammed' cartoonist to receive German prize - Sep 07, 2010
- Danish Police shoot, injure man trying to kill controversial cartoonist - Jan 02, 2010
- Controversial Danish cartoonist plans to retire - Apr 22, 2010
- Swedish newspapers reprint Prophet cartoon - Mar 10, 2010
- Prophet cartoon in South African paper sparks new row - May 21, 2010
- Controversial Danish cartoonist's work raises money for Haiti - Jan 24, 2010
- Danish cartoonist escapes attack by Somali (Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Danish cartoonist survives murder bid - Jan 02, 2010
- Muslims need to develop a sense of humour, says controversial Dane cartoonist - Oct 02, 2009
- Somali in hospital after attacking Danish cartoonist (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Police mull bodyguard for threatened Danish cartoonist - Jan 03, 2010
Tags: bomb, boycott, cartoon, cartoonist, copenhagen, damages, danish newspapers, dutch counterpart, islam, journalist, journalists, kroner, legislator, muslims, opposition, placards, prophet mohammed, security police, turban, violent protests