Danish cartoonist survives murder bidJanuary 2nd, 2010 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 2 (IANS) Danish cartoonist Kurt Westergaard, whose caricature of Prophet Muhammad sparked fury in the Muslim world, escaped death when a knife-wielding Somali man broke into his house in Denmark.
Westergaard was stunned when the 28-year-old intruder tried to kill him in front of his five-year-old granddaughter after barging into his house in the western city of Aarhus late Friday, BBC reported.
The report said the cartoonist ran into a specially designed room with the granddaughter and raised an alarm, following which police entered and shot the man, seriously wounding him.
According to the Danish police, the Somali man was linked to the radical Islamist al-Shabab militia.
Westergaard’s cartoon, published in Danish newspaper Jyllands Posten in 2005, depicted the Prophet with a bomb in his turban, sparking an international outcry.
The newspaper later apologized. The cartoonist went into hiding amid threats to his life but emerged last year, BBC said.
- Danish cartoonist escapes attack by Somali (Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Controversial Danish cartoonist to publish memoirs - Aug 10, 2010
- Somali in hospital after attacking Danish cartoonist (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Controversial cartoons: From arrests to murder attempts - May 11, 2012
- Controversial Danish cartoonist plans to retire - Apr 22, 2010
- Danish Police shoot, injure man trying to kill controversial cartoonist - Jan 02, 2010
- Controversial Danish cartoonist's work raises money for Haiti - Jan 24, 2010
- Danish 'Mohammed' cartoonist to receive German prize - Sep 07, 2010
- Swedish newspapers reprint Prophet cartoon - Mar 10, 2010
- Norwegian newspaper reprints controversial Islam cartoons - Jan 08, 2010
- Police mull bodyguard for threatened Danish cartoonist - Jan 03, 2010
- Muslims need to develop a sense of humour, says controversial Dane cartoonist - Oct 02, 2009
- Man Arrested For Alleged Assassination Attempt Of Cartoonist Kurt Westergaard - Jan 02, 2010
- Angela Merkel slams US pastor's Quran-burning plan - Sep 09, 2010
- Defence invokes poet Iqbal in Tahawwur Rana's favour - Dec 03, 2009
Tags: al shabab, bbc, bomb, caricature of prophet, caricature of prophet muhammad, cartoon published in danish newspaper, danish cartoonist, danish police, denmark, granddaughter, international outcry, intruder, islamist, kurt westergaard, london jan, militia, muslim world, somali man, turban