Daniel Vettori wins toss, puts India in to bat in third TestApril 3rd, 2009 - 9:05 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, April 3 (IANS) New Zealand skipper Daniel Vettori won the toss and asked India to bat in the third cricket Test here at the Basin Reserve Friday.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni is back to lead the Indian side and also to keep wickets in place of Dinesh Karthik. That is the only change from the side that drew the second Test at Napier after following on.
New Zealand again made two changes - fast bowler Tim Southee coming in for off-spinner Jeetan Patel and fit-again batsman Daniel Flynn replacing Jaimie How.
Vettori said he had decided to field because he felt there could be something for the bowlers early on and wanted to exploit the conditions in the first session.
Dhoni, who said he would have batted had he won the toss, however, felt that Vettori’s decision was an attacking one.
The Indian captain said he was not hundred percent fit, but decided to play since the medical tests did not pinpoint why he had been having back spasms.
India: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar,Vangipurappu Venkata Sai Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma, Munaf Patel. 12th man: Dinesh Karthik
New Zealand: Daniel Vettori (captain), Tim McIntosh, Martin Guptill, Daniel Flynn, Ross Taylor, Jesse Ryder, James Franklin, Brendon McCullum (wicketkeeper), Tim Southee, Iain O’Brien, Chris Martin. 12th man: Jeetan Patel
Umpires: Simon Taufel (Australia) and Daryl Harper (Australia). TV umpire: Tony Hill (New Zealand).
Match referee: Alan Hurst (Australia).
- New Zealand choose to bat against India - Aug 31, 2012
- New Zealand opt to bat against India - Nov 12, 2010
- India opt to bat against New Zealand - Aug 23, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at tea, second Test, day three - Sep 02, 2012
- Sehwag leading India loses toss, New Zealand batting - Mar 26, 2009
- India vs New Zealand scoreboard, second Test, day three - Sep 02, 2012
- India to make fresh start against New Zealand (Preview) - Aug 22, 2012
- India wins toss, to bat against New Zealand - Nov 04, 2010
- New Zealand elect to bat in third Test against India - Nov 20, 2010
- India vs Kiwis: Scoreboard at lunch, second Test, day 3 - Sep 02, 2012
- Scoreboard: India vs. New Zealand, Second Test, Day Two - Sep 01, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at lunch, Second Test, Day Four - Sep 03, 2012
- India vs New Zealand: Second Test, final scoreboard - Sep 03, 2012
- India elect to bat against New Zealand - Aug 25, 2010
- India vs New Zealand: Scoreboard at tea - Sep 01, 2012
Tags: basin reserve, brendon mccullum, captain tim, cricket test, daniel vettori, gautam gambhir, indian captain, ishant sharma, mahendra singh dhoni, munaf patel, rahul dravid, ross taylor, sachin tendulkar, simon taufel, tim mcintosh, tv umpire, virender sehwag, wicketkeeper, yuvraj singh, zaheer khan