Daniel Craig all for a black BondNovember 6th, 2008 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 6 (IANS) James Bond star Daniel Craig has said it is time for a black 007 now that the US has elected its first African American president.”After Barack Obama’s victory I think we might have reached the moment for a coloured 007,” he is quoted in The Telegraph as telling an Italian news agency.
“I think the role could easily be played by a black actor because the character created by Ian Fleming in the Fifties has undergone a great deal of evolution and continues to be updated.”
Craig took a sideways dig at Bond creator author Ian Fleming, who is said to have been conservative in view, with his books reflecting the race prejudices of his times. “I think he’d probably turn in his grave” at the thought of a black Bond, he said.
The newspaper says this is not the first time the idea was mooted. Black British actor Colin Salmon, who played M’s smooth chief of staff in the three Pierce Brosnan Bond films, was tipped to take over the role before it went to Craig.
- After black Bond, now a black Dr Who? - Nov 07, 2008
- Craig wasn't interested in 'James Bond' role - Jul 22, 2011
- Pierce Brosnan says 007 role left him 'tangled up in his ego' - Aug 09, 2010
- New Bond writer to turn superspy into Afghan war veteran - Nov 02, 2010
- No desire to play Bond again: Brosnan - Jun 16, 2010
- Connery says no to Bond's 50th anniversary celebrations - Jan 31, 2011
- Clint Eastwood doesn't regret turning down 007 role - Feb 11, 2010
- New Bond Movie Canceled Owing To MGM's Financial Woes - Jul 10, 2010
- Matt Damon's Bourne Identity role dashed Pierce Brosnan's 007 hopes - Apr 02, 2010
- Next Bond flick to be Dame Judi Dench's last? - Apr 11, 2010
- Daniel Craig is the best Bond: Roger Moore - Aug 29, 2012
- Pierce Brosnan thinks he 'never really nailed' 007 role - Apr 15, 2010
- After playing vampire, Pattinson wants James Bond role - Jul 10, 2012
- Pierce Brosnan to team up with son Sean for big-screen - Jun 25, 2010
- I'm done with directing Bond films: Martin Campbell (Interview) - Jun 15, 2010