Damascus calls in diplomat over attack: US sourcesOctober 27th, 2008 - 6:34 am ICT by IANS
Beirut, Oct 27 (DPA) US embassy sources in Beirut said Sunday evening that a US diplomat in Damascus was called in to the Syrian foreign ministry over the reported incident of a US military raid inside Syria.The sources said US charge d’affaires in Damascus, Maura Connelly, was summoned to the foreign ministry which issued a protest over the raid.
Lebanese sources meanwhile said the US commando forces had stormed a building suspected of harbouring fundamentalist militants preparing to infiltrate into Iraq.
The US and Lebanese sources were commenting on developments reported in Syria, in which US forces carried out a helicopter-borne commando raid inside Syria Sunday, killing nine people and wounding 14 in a village not far from the Syrian-Iraqi border.
Local eyewitness accounts said the attack took place about 5.45 p.m. at the village of Al-Sukkariya, some eight kilometres from the Iraqi border.
The local residents said four helicopters were involved in the operation, with two of the helicopters landing ane eight soldiers disembarking. Those killed were supposedly construction workers.
The official state-run Syrian news agency SANA in its account said that the US forces attacked a civilian building which was under construction. The victims were construction workers and the wife of one of the site’s guards.
After the attack, the helicopters flew off, heading in the direction of Iraq’s province Dayr Az Zawr, east of the Syrian border.
If confirmed, it would be the first time ever that US forces had carried out an attack on Syrian soil. There has been no official US comment so far about the reported raid.
- US forces kill seven in Syria: eyewitnesses - Oct 27, 2008
- Eight killed in US raid on Syrian village - Oct 27, 2008
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Syria freezes ties with Iraq: reports - Oct 31, 2008
- Iraq closes border crossing point with Syria - Aug 23, 2012
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- Syria was shocked at top Hezbollah operative's assassination two yrs back: Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- UN observers start leaving Syria - Aug 19, 2012
- Two Reuters journalists missing in Syria - Mar 28, 2011
- US conducts raid against insurgents in Syria (Lead) - Oct 27, 2008
- Iraqi police help US target terrorist in Syria: Report - Oct 28, 2008
- Five killed in Iraq violence - May 24, 2012
- Syrian rebels set free one of 11 Lebanese pilgrims - Aug 26, 2012
- UN observers leave Syria - Aug 20, 2012