‘Dalai visit’ to US may threaten relations with ChinaApril 22nd, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Apr.22 (ANI): U.S. President Barack Obama risks damaging relations with China if he meets the Dalai Lama in October, Chinese experts have warned.
“China would definitely be against the US leader meeting the Dalai Lama as it would be a severe interference in China’s internal affairs,” the China Daily quoted Fu Mengzi, a scholar on American studies at the China Institute of Contemporary International Relations, as saying.
The Dalai Lama is seeking an audience with Obama in October, the Associated Press reported on Tuesday.
Sino-US relations have been proceeding smoothly as of late, particularly after President Hu Jintao and Obama met for the first time on April 1 ahead of the G-20 summit in London.
During the meeting, Obama accepted Hu’s invitation to visit China later this year and said that Sino-US relations have become extremely constructive.
Both leaders reached consensus on major issues of common concern at the G-20, including Tibet, Fu said.
“Obama will break the consensus if he meets the Dalai Lama. It will also have negative influences on Sino-US cooperation with regards to the financial crisis and regional security, like the nuclear issue on the Korean Peninsula,” he said.
Both George W. Bush’s father and former president Bill Clinton met with the Dalai Lama in private, while the younger Bush met with him in a public ceremony.
Analysts said it’s hard to conclude if Obama will meet the Dalai Lama.
While campaigning for the US presidency in July, Obama expressed his support in a letter to the Dalai Lama. (ANI)
- Tibetans welcome Obama, Dalai Lama meeting - Jul 16, 2011
- Dalai Lama set to leave for US, to meet Obama (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Feb 16, 2010
- US official in China for Korean Peninsula solutions - Jan 06, 2011
- China urges restraint on Korean Peninsula (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- US, China not rivals, but partners in cooperation: Hu, Obama - Nov 17, 2009
- Ignoring China's objections, Obama to meet Dalai Lama - Feb 13, 2010
- Obama should meet Chinese president first: Tibetan leader - Sep 15, 2009
- Tibetan PM for resumption of talks with China - Aug 08, 2012
- China furious as Obama meets Dalai Lama (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- Chinese, US presidents meet on bilateral ties - Jun 20, 2012
- Obama-Dalai Lama meet undermines US as major power: Chinese daily - Jul 18, 2011
- Don't hold Obama-Dalai Lama meeting: China - Jul 16, 2011
- Historic opportunity for Hu Jintao to engage Dalai Lama (Comment) - Mar 27, 2012
- Dalai Lama is 'political monk', says Chinese official - Mar 04, 2010
- China summons US ambassador over Obama-Dalai Lama meeting (Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
Tags: associated press, barack obama, china beijing, china daily, china institute, chinese experts, dalai lama, financial crisis, former president bill clinton, george w bush, hu jintao, internal affairs, international relations, korean peninsula, nuclear issue, president bill clinton, president hu jintao, public ceremony, regional security, tibet