Dalai Lama expresses hope of return to TibetSeptember 21st, 2010 - 6:35 am ICT by IANS
Budapest, Sep 21 (DPA) The Dalai Lama said Monday in the Hungarian capital that he was “optimistic” that he would one day be able to return to Tibet on a Chinese passport.
Speaking in the parliament building on the last day of a visit to the Central European country, the Buddhist leader called for political liberalisation in China.
On the question of his former homeland, the exiled spiritual leader of Tibet said that a solution must be found that is acceptable to both China and the people of the province.
Though he noted a growing openness in Beijing to dialogue, the Dalai Lama said that there are still hard-liners who believe that aggression is the answer.
“But they are wrong,” he was quoted as saying by the Hungarian state news agency MTI.
On his seventh visit to Hungary, the 14th Dalai Lama, born Tenzin Gyaco in 1935, also had some advice for the Hungarian people.
“I have heard that you are struggling with economic problems,” he said, before advising Hungarians to work hard and remain optimistic.
Over the previous two days, the Dalai Lama addressed crowds of more than 11,000 in a sold-out Budapest sport arena.
He was named an honorary citizen of the Hungarian capital by Budapest Mayor Gabor Demszky Saturday.
After leaving Hungary Tuesday, he is scheduled to continue his last planned visit to Europe this year with a trip to the German town of Passau.
- Dalai Lama named honorary citizen of Budapest - Sep 19, 2010
- Dalai Lama to address Hungarian parliament - Sep 18, 2010
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Dalai Lama to speak of happiness at Penguin Lecture - Dec 02, 2011
- Man kills four in Hungary sword attack - Apr 07, 2012
- Mahatma's grandson to attend Dalai Lama's birthday bash - Jul 04, 2011
- Prayers, sapling plantations mark Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2011
- Will decide on successor when I am 90: Dalai Lama - Sep 24, 2011
- World's most celebrated monk turns 75 Tuesday - Jul 04, 2010
- The Dalai Lama: Torn between Tibet and India! - Mar 03, 2012
- The Dalai Lama: A monk on the move - Aug 23, 2010
- 286 kg marijuana found in vehicle in Hungary - Aug 26, 2012
- Dalai Lama to meet Tutu - from a distance - Oct 07, 2011
- Dalai Lama will live to be 113 - Jul 06, 2011
- Another foreign visit for Dalai Lama - but not to Tibet - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: 14th dalai lama, aggression, buddhist leader, dalai lama, economic problems, gabor, german town, honorary citizen, hungarian capital, hungarian state, hungarians, mti, news agency, openness, parliament building, political liberalisation, return to tibet, spiritual leader, sport arena, state news