Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in SyriaAugust 4th, 2012 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, Aug 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Czech Republic has bought a special armoured BMW X5 car for its ambassador in Syria, the Czech News Agency quoted a Czech foreign ministry spokesman as saying.
The vehicle, which is to protect ambassador Eva Filipi as the conflict inside Syria is escalating, cost 4 million Czech korunas ($194,000).
Czech foreign ministry spokesman Karel Srol said his country, unlike many other European states, does not plan to close its diplomatic mission in Damascus.
This week, the Czech embassy started representing the US in consular issues in Syria.
US diplomats left Syria’s capital in February. The US interests were initially represented by Poland, which closed its diplomatic mission in Syria in late July citing security concerns.
Since March 2011, the Syrian conflict has claimed 14,000-20,000 lives, according to estimates by various Syrian opposition groups. The West is pushing for President Bashar al-Assad’s ouster, while Russia and China are trying to prevent outside interference in Syria saying the Assad regime and the opposition are both to blame for the bloodshed.
International diplomatic efforts have failed to force the conflicting sides to stop the bloodshed and begin talks. Russia and China have three times vetoed Western draft resolutions on Syria fearing the repetition of “the Libyan scenario” in Syria.
- Russia to oppose UNGA's Syria resolution - Aug 02, 2012
- Syria should resolve crisis on its own: Chavez - Aug 02, 2012
- US gives Syrian opposition $25 mn in non-lethal aid - Aug 02, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as government - Aug 28, 2012
- Syrian crisis should not have military solution: UN chief - Sep 21, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- Syria crisis should be resolved constitutionally: Putin - Jun 20, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
- Russian, Western differences on Syria exaggerated: Medvedev - Jul 31, 2012
- No Russian asylum for Syrian president: Minister - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia urges Syria to call off troops - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, bloodshed, bmw x5, consular issues, czech embassy, czech news agency, czech republic, diplomatic mission, diplomats, draft resolutions, filipi, foreign ministry spokesman, international diplomatic efforts, korunas, opposition groups, ouster, president bashar, ria novosti, security concerns, syrian opposition