Czech military to reduce officers to save moneyAugust 9th, 2012 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Prague, Aug 9 (IANS) The Czech military is to reduce the number of officers at its headquarters to slim down the command structure and reduce costs, Deputy Defence Minister Jiri Sedivy has said.
The number of pesonnel is to decrease across the entire defence sector. There is also a plan for the defence ministry’s restructuring that will concern its civilian employees as well, Sedivy said Wednesday.
Within the defence ministry’s restructuring, separate agencies for personnel issues, property handling and logistics will be established, Xinhua reported.
The defence ministry was assigned to save further finances at the latest meeting of the National Security Council and it is to submit the results of its effort to the government by the end of September, Sedivy said.
“The very first rule is that this must not affect the executive sections of the combat forces,” said Sedivy.
However, Sedivy did not mention how many soldiers would be dismissed. According to data from 2010, the defence sector has some 23,000 professional soldiers and about 9,000 civilian employees.
- Czech Republic may sell combat jets to Iraq - Apr 19, 2011
- South Korea to expand its marine corps - Feb 08, 2011
- Injured British soldier dies 1.5 year after bomb blast in Afghanistan - Jan 04, 2012
- Roadside bomb kills NATO soldier in southern Afghanistan - Mar 27, 2012
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- Djokovic to miss Serbia's Davis Cup tie - Mar 28, 2012
- Czech designs captivate Indians at expo - May 11, 2011
- Gay festival begins in Prague - Aug 14, 2012
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
- Aerobatic stunts, flying thrills mark AeroIndia finale - Feb 13, 2011
- Six hurt in rough landing by Russian military plane - May 23, 2012
- Czech ex-president Havel to be buried Friday - Dec 19, 2011
- Al Qaeda may return after Afghan pullout, British PM warned - Aug 05, 2012
- British defence firm axes 3,000 jobs - Sep 27, 2011
- NATO helicopter crashes in southern Afghanistan, killing 11 - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: civilian employees, combat forces, command structure, defence ministry, defence sector, deputy defence minister, logistics, money, national security council, personnel issues, prague, professional soldiers, restructuring, xinhua