Cyclone hits Myanmar, at least 243 deadMay 4th, 2008 - 7:35 pm ICT by admin
Yangon, May 4 (DPA) A powerful cyclone hit Myanmar, killing at least 243 people and destroying thousands of buildings, state television reported Sunday. Television pictures from the port city of Yangon, Myanmar’s largest city, showed numerous trees uprooted and houses without roofs.
Tropical cyclone Nargis hit the south of the country Saturday with wind speed of more than 200 km per hour.
Electricity and telephone lines were cut by the storm, which started in the Bay of Bengal, making communication with the former capital Yangon difficult.
- At least 243 reported dead as cyclone hits Myanmar (Lead) - May 04, 2008
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclonic storm kills nine people in Bihar - May 21, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- One killed, 175 injured as tornado hits Tripura - May 01, 2012
- Storm kills three, damages many houses in Tripura - Apr 08, 2012
- Laila hits Andhra coast, wrecks havoc (Second Lead) - May 20, 2010
- India pledges Myanmar $10 mn, donates 10 rice silos (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Dark new year for cyclone-hit Tamil Nadu districts - Jan 01, 2012
- Cyclone Laila stationary, toll up at 27 in coastal Andhra - May 21, 2010
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Thunderstorms kills 37 in Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Andhra hastens to protect coastal villages from Cyclone Laila - May 19, 2010
- 100 fishermen missing as cyclone hits Myanmar, Bangladesh - Oct 23, 2010
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry; spares Andhra (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011