Cyclist killed in New Zealand near end of round-world tripMarch 18th, 2009 - 11:50 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, March 18 (DPA) A German tourist died when he was hit by a truck in New Zealand a week before flying home after a three-year cycling trip around the world, according to news reports Wednesday.
Police said that Stephan Stoermer, 38, had a ticket to fly back home in Frankfurt Friday after travelling through 26 countries in Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Australia since early 2006.
He died on the way to hospital after his bicycle was hit by a logging truck near Te Puke, in the Bay of Plenty, March 12.
He was not wearing a cycle helmet, which is compulsory in New Zealand, at the time he was hit, the Bay of Plenty Times reported. It was hanging on his handlebars.
Police sergeant Ian Campion told the paper that Stoermer arrived in New Zealand Dec 30.
He said police were still investigating the accident and it may be some time until its cause was determined.
The newspaper said that Stoermer had a website on which he talked about being on the move all of his life, but not for the purpose of arriving at a destination.
“I’m always looking for a new, different mode of travelling,” he wrote, saying he enjoyed meeting people as he toured the world on a bicycle.
- Women two-wheeler riders may have to wear helmets - Jul 04, 2011
- Russell Crowe purchases $10m Sydney home - Mar 22, 2011
- Australian man dies after being arrested - May 28, 2011
- Helmets to be made mandatory for women in Delhi - Apr 25, 2012
- High Court notice to Delhi government on contempt plea - Jul 13, 2012
- Minor girl, two others killed in Delhi accidents - Aug 10, 2012
- Female trouser ban in Paris 'closer to being abolished' - Sep 30, 2010
- Hyderabad gets first bicycle track for public - Mar 18, 2012
- Handlebars affect female cyclists' genital health - Jul 10, 2012
- Two killed in two Noida accidents - Jul 13, 2011
- Helmets must for bikers, pillion riders: Transport minister (Goa Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- Six killed in Delhi road accidents (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- 10 killed in Bengal accidents - Mar 20, 2011
- 8 killed, 18 injured in two Rajasthan accidents - May 11, 2012
- Vizag civic staff to cycle to work once a week - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: bay of plenty, bay of plenty times, bicycle, campion, countries in europe, cycle helmet, fly, frankfurt, german tourist, handlebars, logging truck, meeting people, middle east asia, new zealand, news reports, police sergeant, puke, trip around the world, wellington, world trip