Cyclist Armstrong confirms Giro start despite injuryApril 17th, 2009 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, April 17 (DPA) Lance Armstrong will definitely compete in this year’s Giro d’Italia despite breaking his right collarbone less than a month ago, the Gazzetta dello Sport reported.
The seven-time Tour de France winner has reportedly confirmed his participation in the Giro, which starts May 9 in Venice, to race organisers.
However, the 37-year-old American rider won’t be fully fit due to the injury sustained on March 23 when he crashed on stage one of the Vuelta a Castilla y Leon in Spain.
He subsequently underwent undergo surgery in the United States to insert a metal plate to strengthen the bone.
Armstrong remains uncertain about being allowed to compete in this summer’s Tour de France after the French anti-doping agency (AFLD) said he could face sanctions over his behaviour during a doping test last month in southern France.
Samples taken from Armstrong March 17 in Beaulieu-sur-mer returned negative but it is alleged that he may have violated the AFLD’s rules regarding observation due to his lack of cooperation with the tester.
The Astana rider, who last year announced that he would be staging a comeback after retiring at the end of the 2005 season made the AFLD accredited doctor wait 20 minutes before allowing him take a blood, hair and urine sample.
- Armstrong to mark European return at Milan San-Remo - Mar 04, 2009
- Contador takes Tour of Spain title after serving doping ban - Sep 10, 2012
- Astana looks to Armstrong for needed redemption - Jun 30, 2009
- Contador to focus on Tour de France in 2012 - Oct 01, 2011
- Armstrong team given special treatment by UCI during Tour - Oct 05, 2009
- Sports tribunal suspends Spanish cyclist - Feb 07, 2012
- Tour de France winner Contador suspended due to doping case - Jan 27, 2011
- Armstrong again faces doping charges - Jun 14, 2012
- Lance Armstrong's injury will take eight weeks to heal: Surgeon - Mar 26, 2009
- Armstrong won't contest doping charges, to lose titles - Aug 24, 2012
- Armstrong refutes misbehaving charge - Apr 08, 2009
- Armstrong to end international career Down Under - Oct 24, 2010
- Lance Armstrong's New Zealand holiday - Jan 30, 2011
- Australia's Evans doubts Armstrong a Tour de France starter - May 06, 2009
- Armstrong organised a team bonding party attended by strippers: Landis - Jul 04, 2010
Tags: beaulieu sur mer, castilla y leon, collarbone, cooperation, cyclist armstrong, dpa, gazzetta dello sport, giro d italia, lance armstrong, march 17, observation, sanctions, southern france, stage one, tour de france, tour de france winner, urine sample, venice, vuelta a castilla, vuelta a castilla y leon