Cycling champion Boonen suspended after positive cocaine testMay 9th, 2009 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, May 9 (DPA) Former cycling world champion Tom Boonen has been suspended by his Quick Step team and faces a criminal investigation after again testing positive for cocaine, Belgian news reports said Saturday.
The reports said that Boonen tested positive at an out-of-competition test in late April, around two weeks after April 12 winning the Paris-Roubaix Classic for the third time in his career.
The 2005 world champion Boonen first tested positive for cocaine last year.
He was excluded from the Tour de France and Tour de Suisse by race organisers but escaped additional sanctions because he did not test positive in competition.
The same will likely apply this time around but his future in the sport is still in jeopardy due to the swift ban by his team. Quick Step said they will discuss further moves with their sponsors.
A Belgian court ruled in January that the exclusion from the two races were enough punishment for Boonen. But he now faces a criminal investigation because the court had also ordered him to stay away from drugs.
- Former world champion banned from Tour de France - Jun 19, 2009
- Swiss cyclist Cancellara laughs off claims of winning races with electric bike - Jun 03, 2010
- Second stage of Tour de France gets underway - Jul 05, 2009
- UCI to check for electric motors in bicycles at the Tour de France - Jun 24, 2010
- Bicycles To Undergo Checks At Tour De France - Jun 24, 2010
- ICU To Scrutinize Electric Bicycles At The Tour De France - Jun 24, 2010
- Sports tribunal suspends Spanish cyclist - Feb 07, 2012
- Armstrong again faces doping charges - Jun 14, 2012
- Tour de France champion Contador suspended after failing drug test - Sep 30, 2010
- Alberto Contador to lose his Tour de France title - Feb 06, 2012
- Former Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich banned for 2 years - Feb 09, 2012
- Olympics: Gilbert eyes medal to end disappointing season - Jul 27, 2012
- Menchov can vanquish Tour nightmare at Olympics: Coach - Jul 22, 2012
- Two more Indian athletes fail dope tests - Jul 04, 2011
- Tired Bolt eyes world-leading time in Brussels - Sep 16, 2011
Tags: brussels, cocaine test, criminal investigation, dpa, drugs, jeopardy, news reports, paris roubaix, positive cocaine, race organisers, sanctions, third time, tom boonen, tour de france, tour de suisse, world champion