Cure for woman who can’t stop growing foundJune 3rd, 2010 - 3:39 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 3 (ANI): A young woman, who has been suffering from a rare form of gigantism that made her gain 336 pounds and grow to nearly 7-feet tall, has been given hope of beating the illness by doctors who have found a cure for the disease.
According to the Daily Mail, Tanya Angus, 31, from Las Vegas, Nevada was diagnosed with acromegaly, a condition causing an overproduction of growth hormone in her body that if not stopped, could kill her.
Before Angus developed the hormonal disorder, she said she lived like a normal teenager. But by age 20, she was well over 6 feet tall, and had size 12 feet.
“It sounds horrible, but someone at work actually asked me if I used to be a man,” Fox News quoted her as saying.
“I’d started to look so big, it had raised doubts in people’s minds about what sex I was,” she stated.
After being forced to buy new shoes because of her rapidly growing feet, chronic pain in her back, and flu symptoms, Angus went to the doctor and was diagnosed with acromegaly.
An MRI scan revealed a tumour in her brain the size of an orange that was causing the overproduction of growth hormone.
After two successful surgeries to remove the tumour, doctors have formulated a combination of drugs to reduce her hormones back to a normal level for the first time in 13 years.
Although lower hormone levels don’t mean she will shrink, Angus no longer has to worry about growing any larger.
“The doctors told me I would get to 30 years old before I died, I’m 31 now, now they’re saying I’ll get to 40, we’ll see, but I’ve made it this far, so I’m going to keep on pushing myself,” she added. (ANI)
- No More Growth For The Woman Who Couldn't Stop Growing - Jun 03, 2010
- Surgery Successful For 'The Woman Who Can't Stop Growing' - Jun 03, 2010
- The woman who can't stop growing - Jul 23, 2009
- Doctors Find A Way To Cure Giant Woman - Jun 05, 2010
- "Giant Woman" To Undergo Surgery To Stop Her Overgrowth - Jun 05, 2010
- Tanya Angus: Not A Biblical Giant - Jun 24, 2009
- Woman's changing facial features helped diagnose tumour - Sep 01, 2011
- Seven-foot tall woman draws crowds in Bengal - Jul 03, 2012
- Why do some people have giant hands and feet? - Aug 24, 2009
- Liver cancer can be caused by excess growth hormone - Apr 14, 2012
- Wiseman's fertility fears - Nov 25, 2011
- It's definitely not twins: Simpson - Nov 11, 2011
- I wanted a tall husband: Ratan Rajput - Jul 10, 2011
- Mum-of-four left bed bound by N-cup boobs - May 04, 2010
- A British woman who can't use electricity - May 19, 2011
Tags: 13 years, angus, chronic pain, daily mail, doubts, flu symptoms, fox news, gigantism, growth hormone, hormonal disorder, hormone levels, hormones, june 3, mri scan, new shoes, overproduction, surgeries, tumour, vegas nevada, young woman