Cuckoo’s Nest Hospital Lets The Patients’ Remains Reunite With Their FamilyFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 9:10 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Feb 2, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Oregon State Mental Hospital has a long history. It was built in 128 years back, and has been the back drop of the classic film of 1975, “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”. The film portrayed the life and trauma of the patients who are kept in an asylum. Recently, Oregon State Mental Hospital has released the names and identities of those patents who died in the hospital between 1914 to 1970.
The remains of these patents are kept in the copper corroding canisters. The hospital, after so many decades, now wants to reunite the living members with the remains of these dead and forgotten patients. More than 120 people have already claimed the remains of their relatives who left their lives in the hospital, during that span of time. Don Whetsell, who happens to be one amongst the 120 people, claimed the remains of his grand father, Nathan McComber, who died in 1940. He said that he could not rest the moment he heard about it. He added that his grandmom would have been really happy, had she been alive. Mimi Stang, who came to claim the remains of her uncle, was surprised to see so many people, who still remember their late relatives, and want to pay an ode to them.
The old hospital was visited by a group of law makers in 2004. They came across these remains and that made them think about the renovation of this hospital, to equip it with better facilities and more stuffs to look after the patients, amidst a modern get-up, marked with more privacy and better hygiene. All those who still have not claimed their relatives’ remains can take them home from the hospital, after proving that they are either related through blood or by adoption.
- "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" hospital wants takers for human remains - Feb 02, 2011
- 18 train fire victims remain unidentified - Jul 31, 2012
- Battered baby critical, woman claims to be relative (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Palestinian demonstrator injured during West Bank protest dies - Dec 11, 2011
- 101-year-old Female Undergoes The Insertion Of The Third Tattoo On Her Delicate Body - Aug 27, 2010
- Battered baby critical, woman claims to be relative (Third Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Hospital to probe patient's death by 'rat bite' - Dec 24, 2011
- Fire at two health care facilities - Mar 21, 2012
- 'Hawk mimicry' helps cuckoos to scare their hosts - Apr 18, 2011
- Mexican man found living with sister's corpse - Sep 05, 2011
- Three more children die in Kolkata hospital - Jul 01, 2011
- Only 4,500 out of two lakh get transplants - Feb 15, 2012
- Rajasthan doctors continue strike, 40 patients dead - Dec 25, 2011
- Battered baby remains critical, police hunt for parents (Roundup) - Jan 27, 2012
- 23 convicted, 23 acquitted for Gujarat riots massacre (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: 1914, asylum, canisters, classic film, cuckoo, feb 2, grandmom, hygiene, kar, mccomber, meena, mimi, one flew over the cuckoo s nest, oregon state mental hospital, patents, relatives, renovation, stang, state mental hospital, time don