Cuban leader calls for better results on economic frontJune 10th, 2008 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, June 10 (IANS) A senior leader of the Communist Party of Cuba has said the island’s socialist system may not last if the government fails to deliver better economic results, EFE reported Tuesday quoting the state media. “Either we solve the problems or we ourselves destroy the revolution that cost us so much blood and sweat,” Maria del Carmen Concepcion said Monday.
Concepcion is a senior member of the Secretariat, the executive arm of the party’s Central Committee, said.
According to the party daily Granma, Concepcion urged delegates at a provincial party assembly “to work with urgency to get better results in the economy, basically in food production, as well as to increase savings, efficiency and import-substitution.”
Cuban Vice President Jose Ramon Machado Ventura addressing the meeting asked “not to be afraid of (paying) high salaries and to apply experience wherever possible, provided that it gets concrete results.”
The government is trying to introduce a system of performance-based pay for workers.
According to Granma, the assembly insisted on the need to increase agricultural production, and farmers were urged to “exploit the land and installations efficiently, giving up irrational practices in favour of what is the most intelligent, advisable and functional.”
President Raul Castro, who succeeded his ailing elder brother Fidel last February, vows to improve the Cuban economy, but without loosening the Communist Party’s grip on power.
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
- Cuba doesn't lack future generation of leaders: Vice president - Jan 11, 2010
- Castro to reappear on TV after four-year absence - Jul 13, 2010
- Castro confirms he won't be in top Cuban leadership - Apr 19, 2011
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Fidel Castro turns 85 - Aug 14, 2011
- Fidel Castro to appear on public TV after almost a year - Jul 12, 2010
- `Lack of hard currency Cuba's most pressing problem' - Jan 12, 2010
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- Raul Castro vows battle against corruption - Dec 24, 2011
- Cuba sends former top officials to jail for corruption - Aug 22, 2012
- Cuban defence minister dies - Sep 04, 2011
- Fidel Castro makes rare TV appearance (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: agricultural production, blood and sweat, central committee, communist party of cuba, concrete results, cuban economy, cuban leader, economic front, economic results, elder brother, executive arm, food production, granma, import substitution, maria del carmen, performance based pay, provincial party, raul castro, s central, socialist system