Cuban gay couple plans to wed on Fidel Castro’s birthdayJuly 18th, 2011 - 12:00 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, July 18 (IANS/EFE) A transsexual and a homosexual Cuban will marry Aug 13 in Havana in the first wedding of this type to be held on the island on a date that coincides with the 85th birthday of former president Fidel Castro, the betrothed told EFE.
Wendy Iriepa, a 37-year-old who underwent a sex-change operation in 2007 on the island, and Ignacio Estrada, a 31-year-old gay man, will marry in an open ceremony.
“We met on May 13 of this year and we always intended to get married three months later,” said Estrada - who considers himself gay but had fallen in love with Wendy, now a woman.
The couple decided to tie the knot on Aug 13 to coincide with Castro’s 85th birthday and emphasize the “gigantic” step their union will signify for the island’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual, or LGBT, community.
Ignacio admitted that this wedding can be held thanks to the sex-change surgeries promoted by the National Sex Education Center, or Cenesex.
That institution, headed by Mariela Castro, the daughter of Cuban President Raul Castro and niece of Fidel, in recent years has headed an insistent campaign to make the political elite and public opinion more amenable to respecting sexual diversity.
Among its achievements is the legalization of sex-change operations by government resolution in 2008.
Iriepa underwent a sex-change operation in 2007 and this year she received official documentation recognizing her sex as being feminine, thanks to the efforts of Cenesex.
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- Fidel Castro turns 85 - Aug 14, 2011
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Castro takes responsibility for persecution of gays - Sep 01, 2010
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Cuba, US to resume friendly baseball games - Mar 21, 2012
- Fidel Castro releases two-volume memoir - Feb 05, 2012
- Castro's daughter wants Banderas to play her dad in film - Jan 15, 2012
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Castro pokes fun at Obama's summit outfit - Apr 10, 2012
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Fidel Castro amused by speculations about his death - Sep 11, 2011
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
- Raul Castro secures cooperation commitments in China - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: 85th birthday, cenesex, cuban president, fidel castro, gay couple, gigantic step, government resolution, lgbt community, mariela castro, national sex, official documentation, old gay man, open ceremony, political elite, president fidel castro, raul castro, sex change operation, sex change operations, sex education, sexual diversity