Cuba says it’s ready for dialogue with USSeptember 27th, 2011 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Sep 27 (IANS/EFE) Cuba is ready to begin a “respectful” political dialogue with the US without preconditions, a senior foreign ministry official said in an interview published Monday.
“Cuba reaffirms its traditional position of holding a respectful dialogue with the United States government to resolve pending problems,” Josefina Vidal, director of the ministry’s North America department, told The Havana Reporter, a new official English-language weekly.
Vidal said that Cuba’s “only requirements” for initiating dialogue with Washington “are that the meeting take place on the basis of equality, reciprocity and equality”.
President Raul Castro has expressed on several occasions the willingness of Cuba to engage in dialogue and accept “the challenge of maintaining a normal relationship with the United States”.
In the inaugural speech at April’s 6th Congress of the governing Communist Party, Gen. Castro said that dialogue could be possible: “provided we can coexist in a civilized manner with our differences, on the basis of mutual respect and non-interference in internal affairs”.
The US and Cuba have not had diplomatic relations in half a century and Washington continues to enforce the economic embargo it imposed on the island in 1962.
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- Castro pokes fun at Obama's summit outfit - Apr 10, 2012
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Castro ready to talk with US under conditions of equality - Feb 25, 2010
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Cuba develops anti-arthritis drug - Feb 17, 2011
- Cuba to overhaul postal service - Nov 23, 2011
- Cuba sends former top officials to jail for corruption - Aug 22, 2012
- US embargo has cost us $2 bn in investment: Cuba - Oct 14, 2010
- Cuba, Botswana sign cooperation agreements - Jun 10, 2010
- Cuban, US scientists seek to cooperate - Dec 14, 2011
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for more surgery - Feb 26, 2012
- Cuba to invest $450 mn to boost rice production - May 12, 2012
Tags: civilized manner, communist party, diplomatic relations, economic embargo, efe, equality, foreign ministry, half a century, havana, inaugural speech, internal affairs, ministry official, mutual respect, political dialogue, preconditions, raul castro, reciprocity, respectful dialogue, traditional position, united states government