Cuba ready for talks with US, says CastroApril 18th, 2009 - 2:19 am ICT by IANS
Cumana (Venezuela), April 18 (EFE) Cuban President Raul Castro has said he is ready to discuss any issue including democracy and human rights with the US as long as talks are held based on mutual respect.
“We have communicated to the US government in private and in public that we can discuss everything,” Castro said at a meeting of Latin American leaders here Thursday.
Castro earlier offered to free the political prisoners lodged in Cuban jails, if the US releases five Cuban spies held in that country.
“If they want the dissidents (political prisoners), we’ll send them tomorrow with their families, but let them return our five heroes to us,” Castro said.
Havana had sent the five agents to South Florida to spy on the exile Cuban community there. The spy operation followed several terrorist bombings on the communist island that were allegedly masterminded by the Miami-based anti-Castro militant Luis Posada Carriles.
Castro said any dialogue with the US must be based on equality and mutual respect.
The US administration recently lifted the restrictions on Cuban Americans’ travel and remittances to the island country.
“What we’re looking for is some signal that there are going to be changes in how Cuba operates that assures that political prisoners are released, that people can speak their minds freely, that they can travel, that they can write and attend church and do the things that people throughout the hemisphere can do and take for granted,” Obama said in a CNN interview recently.
- Cuban regime 'ending', Clinton tells Congress - Apr 23, 2009
- Obama just keeping campaign promise: Cuban speaker - May 13, 2009
- Judge cuts sentences for two Cuban spies - Dec 10, 2009
- Cuba willing to swap dissidents with spies held in US: Minister - Jan 29, 2009
- Obama will fail if he doesn't lift embargo: Fidel Castro - Apr 23, 2009
- US should explore Cuba's prisoner swap offer: Lula - Dec 20, 2008
- Cuba frees two political prisoners - Oct 21, 2009
- Cuba says it's ready for dialogue with US - Sep 27, 2011
- Cuba raps Facebook, YouTube - Jan 16, 2011
- Cuban gay couple plans to wed on Fidel Castro's birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- Obama interacts with Cuban blogger - Nov 20, 2009
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- Cuba, US to resume friendly baseball games - Mar 21, 2012
- Castro ready to talk with US under conditions of equality - Feb 25, 2010
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: americans travel, cnn, cnn interview, communist island, cuban americans, cuban community, cuban jails, cuban president, cuban spies, cumana venezuela, democracy and human rights, dissidents, latin american leaders, luis posada carriles, mutual respect, obama, political prisoners, raul castro, remittances, terrorist bombings