Cuba, Caricom to strengthen tiesDecember 5th, 2008 - 4:23 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Dec 5 (Prensa Latina) A summit meeting of the leaders of Cuba and the Caribbean Community (Caricom) countries will be held here next week aiming at building closer ties. The Dec 8 summit of the 15-nation grouping would also focus on “implementation of gradual reforms including encouragement to private-sector business initiatives”, a Caricom secretariat release said Wednesday.
High on agenda are economic integration, coordination of the member states’ foreign policy, common services and cooperation in the region.
Caricom countries established diplomatic relations with Havana in 1972, ignoring the US policy of isolating the communist-ruled island state.
The leaders will address the global financial crisis and discuss the region’s preparedness to face it. Also on the agenda are energy and food situations and the impact of global warming on the economy of the region.
The Cricom summit is expected to invite Cuban leader and former president Fidel Castro as a special guest in recognition of his contribution to the region’s fight against colonialism.
The major activities of the Caricom involve coordinating economic policies and development planning, devising and instituting special projects for the less-developed countries within its jurisdiction and operating as a regional common market for many of its members (Caricom Single Market).
- Raul Castro hints at easing of Cuba's migration policy - Aug 02, 2011
- Cuban president embarks on China, Vietnam trip - Jul 03, 2012
- WHO praises Cuba's health care system - Mar 28, 2012
- Fidel Castro releases his book 'The Strategic Victory' - Aug 03, 2010
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Cuba showcases cancer vaccines - Mar 06, 2012
- Fidel Castro turns 85 - Aug 14, 2011
- Castro pokes fun at Obama's summit outfit - Apr 10, 2012
- Cuba, US to resume friendly baseball games - Mar 21, 2012
- Krishna to visit Cuba to further ties - Jun 12, 2012
- Socialism can't resolve all ills: Fidel Castro (Lead) - Feb 05, 2012
- Caribbean nations seek close ties in agriculture sector - Mar 19, 2010
- Fidel Castro addresses Cuban parliament - Aug 08, 2010
- Castro meets experts to discuss threats to human species - Feb 12, 2012
- Fidel Castro: I was misinterpreted - Sep 12, 2010
Tags: business initiatives, caribbean community, caricom countries, caricom secretariat, common services, fidel castro, global financial crisis, president fidel castro, private sector business, summit meeting