Croatia down Germany to top Group BJune 13th, 2008 - 2:40 am ICT by IANS
Klagenfurt (Austria), June 13 (DPA) Croatia upset three-time winners Germany 2-1 in a Group B match in Klagenfurt Thursday to move into a strong position to advance to the quarter-finals of Euro 2008. Germany had Bastian Schweinsteiger sent off in stoppage time to complete a miserable evening for Joachim Loew’s highly-fancied side.
Darijo Srna got on the end of a cross from Danijel Pranjic to score from close range in the 24th minute to give Croatia a deserved lead.
They went further ahead when Ivica Olic mopped up from close range in the 62nd after a cross by Ivan Rakitic was deflected onto the near post by Lukas Podoslki.
Podolski blasted a left-foot shot into the net in the 79th minute for his third goal of the tournament, but Croatia held onto their lead.
Substitute Schweinsteiger was sent off in stoppage time for a shove on Jerko Leko.
Croatia, who defeated Austria 1-0 Sunday, now have six points, with Germany on three, and will advance from the group if Austria beat Poland in a later game in Vienna, or the match ends in a draw.
- Croatia dark horses of Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Euro 2012: Last-gasp Navas goal sends Spain through, Croatia out - Jun 19, 2012
- Croatia beat Germany 2-1 in Euro 2008 match (Lead) - Jun 13, 2008
- Croatia beat Germany in Euro 2008 match - Jun 13, 2008
- Schweinsteiger to miss Germany's World Cup qualifiers - Aug 31, 2012
- Euro 2012: Croatia beat Ireland 3-1 - Jun 11, 2012
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
- Bayern to miss Robben, Kroos in Champions League clash at City - Dec 07, 2011
- German coach names players for Argentina friendly - Aug 10, 2012
- A young German team is one of the favourites (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- Euro 2012: Mandzukic strike help Croatia draw 1-1 with Italy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Germany's Gomez breaks deadlock for win over Portugal (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- World Cup now "in our own hands", Germany's Loew says - Jul 04, 2010
- We are not the favourites: German soccer coach - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: austria 1, close range, croatia, dpa, euro 2008, game, germany, ivan rakitic, joachim loew, klagenfurt austria, match, podolski, poland, quarter finals, schweinsteiger, six points, stoppage time, time winners, vienna