Croatia beat Germany in Euro 2008 matchJune 13th, 2008 - 2:39 am ICT by IANS
Klagenfurt (Austria), June 13 (DPA) Croatia upset three-time winners Germany 2-1 in a Group B match in Klagenfurt Thursday to move into a strong position to advance to the quarter-finals of Euro 2008. Germany paid for defensive frailties and a complete lack of creativity as goals from Darijo Srna and Ivica Olic deservedly put the hardworking and talented Croats two goals in front before Lukas Podolski pulled one back with 11 minutes remaining.
Germany9s miserable night was completed when substitute Bastian Schweinsteiger saw a straight red in added time for an off-the-ball shove on Jerko Leko.
The win sees Croatia move top of the group with a maximum six points and Slaven Bilic9s side will be guaranteed a place in the last eight if Poland fail to beat Austria in the day9s later game.
Joachim Loew kept faith with the same starting 11 that beat Poland 2-0 in their opening game with two-goal hero Podolski starting on the left wing behind strikers Miroslav Klose and Mario Gomez.
Germany dominated the early possession in the Woerthersee stadium without really threatening as the Croats chased every ball and refused to give the German midfielders time or space on the ball.
The Croats slowly found their feet as the game progressed and with 19 minutes gone Luka Modric nearly played Ivica Olic through but Christoph Metzelder managed to put in a vital challenge and clear the danger.
However, it was only a temporary reprieve as five minutes later Croatia were in front.
A series of slick passes left Danijel Pranjic with time and space on the left to send in a cross which Darijo Srna prodded home ahead of sleeping German left-back Marcell Jansen.
Germany9s first half-chance of the game fell to Gomez two minutes later but the VfB Stuttgart striker headed over while Niko Kranjcar could have doubled Croatia9s lead on 29 minutes but the Portsmouth star fired over from 11 metres.
Michael Ballack tested Croatia goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa with a long-range free kick before Kranjar missed another glorious opportunity four minutes from the break, blasting a shot too close to German goalkeeper Jens Lehmann with the goal gaping.
Not surprisingly, Loew replaced the tormented Jansen with David Odonkor for the second half in an effort to shore up his leaky defence. Philipp Lahm took up defensive duties on the left with Betis Sevilla9s Odonkor taking the right flank.
Croatia were happy to sit back initially but with Germany continuing to offer nothing in attack they once again began probing forward and thanks to a bit of good fortune found themselves 2-0 up after 62 minutes.
Ivan Rakitic was left in acres of space on the right and sent in a cross which deflected off Podolski, against Lehmann9s near post and into the path of Olic, who tapped the ball in from close range.
Schweinsteiger replaced the ineffectual Gomez and the Bayern Munich midfielder nearly pulled one back for Germany on 71 minutes but his shot from a tight angle fizzed just wide.
With time running out Croatia were happy to sit back and defend their lead and were punished by Podolski, who drilled a low shot past Pletikosa with 11 minute remaining to make it 2-1.
Loew threw on striker Kevin Kuranyi for Werder Bremen midfielder Clemens Fritz in the hope of grabbing an undeserved equalizer but Croatia comfortably ran down the clock.
- Croatia dark horses of Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Croatia beat Germany 2-1 in Euro 2008 match (Lead) - Jun 13, 2008
- Euro 2012: Last-gasp Navas goal sends Spain through, Croatia out - Jun 19, 2012
- Euro 2012: Mandzukic strike help Croatia draw 1-1 with Italy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Euro 2012: Croatia beat Ireland 3-1 - Jun 11, 2012
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
- Croatia down Germany to top Group B - Jun 13, 2008
- Bayern lose top position to Dortmund in German Bundesliga - Feb 05, 2012
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
- Schweinsteiger to miss Germany's World Cup qualifiers - Aug 31, 2012
- World Cup now "in our own hands", Germany's Loew says - Jul 04, 2010
- A young German team is one of the favourites (Group D team profile) - May 29, 2010
- Serbia upset 10-man Germany (Lead) - Jun 18, 2010
- Euro 2012: Germany down Dutch 2-1 on Gomez double - Jun 14, 2012
- Germany take third place with 3-2 victory against Uruguay (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2010
Tags: darijo srna, euro 2008, frailties, goal hero, half chance, ivica olic, jerko leko, joachim loew, klagenfurt austria, klose, kranjcar, mario gomez, michael ballack, midfielders, miserable night, modric, podolski, schweinsteiger, stipe pletikosa, time winners