Cricket tourney in Israel to mark India R’DayJanuary 27th, 2011 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, Jan 27 (IANS) A cricket tournament for people of Indian origin was launched in Israel to mark India’s 62nd Republic Day.The Republic Day was celebrated at the India House in Herzliya Pituah Jan 26.
After unfurling the national flag and singing of the national anthem, Ambassador Navtej Sarna read out excerpts from Indian President Pratibha Patil’s address that was delivered on the eve of the Republic Day.
This was followed by a short cultural programme.
Sarna felicitated Indian Hospice director Sheikh Mohammed Munir Ansari, who was awarded the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award in 2011 for his contribution in maintaining the hospice as a symbol of India’s heritage in Jerusalem.
The embassy also launched the “India Trophy”, a cricket tournament for the Indian-origin community in Israel.
A large number of Indians and friends of India attended the event.
There are approximately 70,000 Jews of Indian origin in Israel, most of who are Israeli nationals. The main waves of immigration into Israel from India took place in the fifties and sixties. The majority are from Maharashtra and smaller numbers are from Kerala and Kolkata.
- India's diaspora conclave concludes with honours, outreach (Roundup) - Jan 09, 2011
- India honours 14 of diaspora for enhancing its global image - Jan 09, 2012
- Spotlight on translations at Spring Fever fest - Mar 04, 2011
- Indian diaspora award for New Zealand governor general, 13 others - Jan 09, 2011
- Trinidad and Tobago PM arrives in India - Jan 05, 2012
- India's annual diaspora conclave kicks off Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- Three-week festival of India in Israel - May 02, 2011
- Annual diaspora meet begins in Jaipur Saturday - Jan 05, 2012
- Translating 'Zafarnama' was difficult: Navtej Sarna (With Images) - Mar 08, 2011
- 9th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to highlight northeast region, says Vayalar Ravi - Sep 22, 2010
- Author-diplomat Navtej Sarna gets Sikh Heritage Award - Oct 16, 2011
- Independence Day celebrated in Kuwait (With Images) - Aug 15, 2011
- Regional diaspora meet in Dubai this year: Ravi - Jan 09, 2012
- Trinidad and Tobago PM chief guest at Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - Oct 27, 2011
- PM to inaugurate PBD 2011 - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: ansari, cricket tournament, fifties, herzliya, hospice director, indian origin, indian president, jews, kerala, kolkata, munir, national anthem, national flag, nationals, pravasi bharatiya, president pratibha patil, republic day, sheikh mohammed, sixties, tel aviv