Crew of hijacked Chinese cargo ship rescuedApril 7th, 2012 - 9:41 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, April 7 (IANS) All 28 Chinese crew members on board a Chinese cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates have been rescued, the Chinese embassy in Tehran said.
The cargo ship, Xianghuamen, was hijacked by Somali pirates Friday morning in the Sea of Oman near Iran’s southern port of Chabahar, Xinhua reported.
The vessel, registered in Panama, belongs to the Nanjing Ocean Shipping company in eastern China.
The ship, setting sail from Shanghai, made a stopover in Singapore to unload some goods and then headed for the Imam Khomeini port in Iran when it was hijacked.
At least nine Somali pirates climbed on to the cargo ship, fired gun shots and seized the Chinese crew members on board.
Two Iranian naval warships took part in the rescue operation, and followed the vessel and ordered the pirates to surrender. The pirates later threw their weapons into the sea and surrendered to the Iranian navy.
The Chinese embassy in Tehran has asked Iranian governmental departments to take all necessary measures to ensure the crew members’ safety.
Yu Hongyang, the Chinese ambassador, has requested Iran to put the safety of the hijacked crew members as the first priority. he said the Chinese government and foreign ministry have all expressed concern over the incident.
- Italian cargo ship with seven Indians hijacked - Dec 27, 2011
- Pirates seize Indian vessel with 14 crew off Oman (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- MV Suez runs out of fuel, stranded off Oman - Jun 18, 2011
- Ship with 21 Indian crewmen aboard released - Jan 14, 2012
- Family seeks release of Indian sailor from pirates - Apr 07, 2012
- Indian cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates off Oman - Jan 12, 2011
- NATO warship helps Iranian vessel - Jan 17, 2012
- Indian Navy thwarts pirate attack; rescues Chinese vessel, crew (Lead, with Images) - May 06, 2011
- Cargo ships may have armed guards to fight pirates - Mar 15, 2011
- Ex-SAS officers hired as "human bait" to protect vessels from Somali pirates: Wikilaeks - Feb 04, 2011
- German-owned vessel released from pirate control released - Apr 14, 2011
- 'Six Indians aboard hijacked Panamanian ship' - Aug 23, 2010
- Iranian Navy saves Singaporean ship from pirates - Jul 07, 2012
- 23 Indians on ship hijacked by pirates off Nigeria safe (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Indian Navy foils pirate attack on Chinese vessel - May 06, 2011
Tags: cargo ship, chabahar, chinese ambassador, chinese crew, chinese embassy, crew members, eastern china, governmental departments, gun shots, imam khomeini, iranian navy, khomeini port, naval warships, necessary measures, ocean shipping company, sea of oman, setting sail, somali pirates, stopover, xinhua