Creature dubbed ‘Loch Ness monster of the Vosges’ threatens French villageJune 22nd, 2009 - 6:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun 22 (ANI): An elusive creature that has been dubbed the “Loch Ness monster of the Vosges” is being hunted by the French police, after residents reported seeing it on several occasions in a local pond.
The creature, said to be a crocodile, was sighted in Xertigny, a village of some 3,000 inhabitants in the Vosges region in eastern France.
Villagers were so curious about the beast that they even tried luring it out of the water by placing a chicken on the bank of the pond, which was to no avail as the animal refused to appear.
The elusive creature has local authorities so worried that they are considering draining the pond after a special sonar device failed to bring light to the situation.
“We have been around the pond several times and you can’t really say if anything is there,” the Telegraph quoted Bruno Aime, vice-president of a local anglers’ association, as telling France Info radio.
“I think it’s carp but it could also be a caiman of about 1.5 metres. The equipment doesn’t let you see the difference between a pike of a metre long and a caiman of 1.5 metres,” he added.
Crocodiles are found only in zoos and parks in France. (ANI)
- Sonar equipment used to search England's Bow-Nessie - Sep 13, 2010
- Russia's Loch Ness Monster, "Nesski", killing anglers? - Jul 12, 2010
- 'Loch Ness monster's Aussie cousin exists' - Jun 11, 2010
- MSNBC showcases alleged Windermere's Loch Ness monster's picture - Feb 21, 2011
- Loch Ness monster seen in British lake? - Feb 18, 2011
- Natural History Museum bets on discovery of Loch Ness monster - Sep 14, 2009
- Loch Ness monster's death rumours dismissed - Jan 06, 2010
- Ex-detective Simon Dinsdale is on the hunt for the Loch Ness monster - Dec 14, 2010
- Wildlife Park in Chhattisgarh segregates aggressive crocodiles - Nov 28, 2009
- Loch Ness Monster Really Existed, Scottish Police Official Claimed - May 02, 2010
- Even cops believed in Loch Ness' existence in the 1930s - Apr 27, 2010
- Loch Ness Monster 'spotted' on Google Earth? - Aug 26, 2009
- Sri Lanka to catch man-eating crocodiles - Apr 13, 2012
- Brit man breaks world record for catching the biggest ever carp - Jan 11, 2010
- The crocs of Bhitarkanika: A problem of plenty? (With Image) - May 21, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,