Crashed Sukhoi was replacement aircraftMay 16th, 2012 - 10:21 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 16 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russian Sukhoi Superjet 100 that crashed into a mountain in Indonesia, killing 45 people May 9, was a replacement aircraft for one that had been withdrawn due to engine problems shortly before the flight.
A Superjet 100 aircraft with the tail number 95005, which earlier performed demonstration flights in Kazakhstan and Pakistan as part of a six-country tour aimed at wooing potential buyers, was the one originally planned to be shown in Indonesia, the LifeNews TV channel quoted Alexander Tulyakov, deputy president of Russia’s United Aviation Corporation (UAC) as saying.
But an engine oil leak revealed during maintenance May 6 forced the show organisers to replace the plane with another similar jet, with the tail number 95004, Tulyakov said.
This resulted in organisers having just a few hours to prepare the plane for the flight, he said.
A spokesperson for the Sukhoi Corporation, which designed the plane and is part of UAC, confirmed that the plane was replaced, but did not name the reason.
All 45 people on board the Superjet 100 were killed when the plane slammed into a steep side of Mount Salak near Jakarta shortly after take-off on a demonstration flight.
Russia’s acting Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said experts believe “human factor” was the most probable cause of the fatal crash.
UAC head Mikhail Pogosyan said it was premature to say if pilot error was to blame.
A search operation for victims’ bodies continues despite difficult weather and terrain at the site of the crash. Indonesian aviation officials have said the investigation of the crash may take up to a year.
- Russian stewardess fired for tweet on Sukhoi crash - May 11, 2012
- Pakistan may buy new Sukhoi superjets - May 09, 2012
- Sukhoi Superjet conducts first passenger flight - Apr 21, 2011
- Russian plane with 44 missing in Indonesia (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Indonesia takes charge of Sukhoi crash probe - May 16, 2012
- Missing aircraft found in Indonesia - May 10, 2012
- No survivors in Sukhoi crash, Russia opens criminal case (Second Lead) - May 10, 2012
- No survivors found in Sukhoi crash (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Flight recorders found in crashed Sukhoi - May 14, 2012
- Sukhoi, Indonesian airline sign $951 mn deal for 30 Superjet-100s - Jul 19, 2010
- New stealth fighter jet for Russia, India - Aug 16, 2011
- 12 bodies brought out of crashed Sukhoi - May 11, 2012
- Sukhoi Superjet 100 completes static tests programme - Sep 15, 2010
- Sukhoi superjet engines have flaws: Report - Jul 06, 2010
- Pilot dies in Czech plane crash - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: aviation corporation, aviation officials, demonstration flight, demonstration flights, deputy president, deputy prime minister, difficult weather, dmitry rogozin, engine oil leak, fatal crash, mount salak, pilot error, president of russia, probable cause, replacement aircraft, ria novosti, search operation, steep side, sukhoi superjet 100, uac