Court upholds charges against 11 Malegaon accusedJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 22 (IANS) A special court here Thursday upheld Mumbai Police’s Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) chargesheet, slapping charges under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) on the 11 accused for the Malegaon blast.Special MCOCA Court Judge Y.D. Shinde’s ruling came after two days of marathon arguments against the charges by the defence lawyers.
Ganesh Sovani, one of the defence lawyers, told IANS shortly after the verdict that within a fortnight, the defence will challenge the ruling before the Bombay High Court.
On Tuesday, the ATS had filed the chargesheet against the 11 accused - Sadhvi Pragnya Singh Thakur, Lt. Col. Prasad S. Purohit, Rakesh Dhawade, Swami Amritanand alias Dayanand Pandey, former armymen Ramesh Upadhyay and Jagdish Mhatre, Ajay Rahirkar, Shyamlal Bhanwarlal Sahu, Shivnarain Singh Kalsangra, Samir Kulkarni and Sudhakar Chaturvedi.
Six people were killed in the blast in Malegaon town of Maharashtra on the night of Sep 29, 2008.
- 11 Malegaon blast accused to be charged under MCOCA (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- Malegaon blast case: Supreme Court to hear Sadhvi Pragya 's appeal - Oct 04, 2010
- Court upholds charges against Malegaon accused under stringent law (Lead) - Jan 22, 2009
- Maharashtra ATS arrest Mutalik in Malegaon blast case - Feb 01, 2011
- ATS files charge sheet against Malegaon blast accused - Jan 20, 2009
- Sadhvi Pragnya files fresh bail plea - Nov 18, 2011
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
- Malegaon blast case: Bombay HC brings backs MCOCA charge against Sadhvi Pragya - Jul 19, 2010
- Malegaon blast: NIA to interrogate accused army officer - Jul 19, 2011
- Custody of nine Malegaon blast accused extended to Jan 6 - Dec 29, 2008
- Malegaon blast: Chargesheet against Pravin Mutalik - Apr 22, 2011
- Maharashtra opposes dropping terror law against Malegaon accused - Aug 24, 2009
- Malegaon blast case chargesheet filed - Jan 20, 2009
- Court orders dropping of MCOCA charges against Malegaon blast accused - Jul 31, 2009
- Another key accused in Malegaon blast held - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: ajay, armymen, bombay high court, court judge, crime act, defence lawyers, fortnight, jagdish, malegaon blast, mumbai police, prasad, purohit, rakesh, sahu, samir, shinde, sudhakar, swami, thakur, upadhyay