Court seeks presence of Delhi serial bombing accusedDecember 20th, 2008 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 20 (IANS) A city court Saturday sought the presence on Jan 7 of five Indian Mujahideen cadres suspected to have been involved in the Sep 13 serial bombings here.Taking note of the two charge sheets filed by Delhi Police against the five accused for planting bombs in Karol Bagh and Greater Kailash markets, Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja listed the case for hearing Jan 7.
The serial bombings in the capital claimed 26 lives and injured many more.
The police had earlier this week charged the accused under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Explosives Substance Act with various offences, including waging war against the state, murder and attempt to murder.
The charges were filed against Mohammed Shakeel, Zia-ur-Rehman, Saquib Nissar, Mohammed Saif and Zeeshan.
The accused, natives of Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh, were arrested from Delhi following a shootout in Jamia Nagar in south Delhi in which two suspected terrorists, Atif Ameen and Sajid, and a police officer were killed six days after the blasts.
The police say that Ameen, the alleged leader of the Indian Mujahideen, and other absconding suspect Junaid planted the bombs in the GK-I market.
The police said 22 people were involved in carrying out the serial blasts in the capital.
Twelve of the accused were yet to be traced, according to the police, while Mohammed Mansoor Peerbhoy, another accused, is in the custody of the Mumbai police.
The police told the court that they would file a supplementary charge sheet later against two accused - Sadique Sheikh, an alleged co-founder of Indian Mujahideen, and Quamuddin - who were arrested two days after the serial blasts in the capital.
The charge sheet refers to the involvement of this module also in the serial blasts at Jaipur, Ahmedabad and Hyderabad and the fact that they procured the explosives for the Delhi blasts from Karnataka.