Court overturns Church’s annulment of 20-year marriageJanuary 21st, 2011 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Jan 21 (IANS/AKI) The Italian supreme court Thursday struck down the decision of a lower court which upheld a Church-sanctioned annulment of a 20-year marriage on the grounds that it produced no children.
The Court of Cassation decided ‘not having children’ to be an insufficient reason to annul the marriage of the couple, who are from Italy’s northern Veneto region.
In Italy, church weddings are automatically registered in the town hall, and can be annulled by the Catholic church, although very few couples manage to obtain Church-sanctioned annulments.
Even civil divorce is governed by stringent laws that require a couple remain ‘legally separated’ for three years before the divorce can be finalised.
In this case, the husband did obtain an annulment from the Catholic authority known as the ‘Sacra Rota’ in 2001 and went on to obtain State recognition of the decision in 2007.
- Husband Has Marriage Annulled After Wife Thinks of Other Men - Nov 13, 2010
- Giving someone finger an offence: Italy's top court - Jul 09, 2010
- Indian jailed in Italy for killing son - Dec 23, 2011
- Roman court annuls marriage as wife 'thought about having an affair' - Nov 10, 2010
- 180 fake paintings seized in Italy - May 04, 2012
- Concordia captain must stay under house arrest: Court - Apr 12, 2012
- Italian priest jailed for sex crimes against minors - May 04, 2012
- Two held in Italy for forcing 10-year-old to marry - Jun 04, 2012
- Flat seized from Italian mafia to become kids' home - Sep 07, 2012
- Boat with Egyptian migrants held in Italy - Jun 13, 2012
- Man held in Italy for beating wife for removing veil - Aug 17, 2012
- Italian teacher held for giving passing grades for sex - Jun 28, 2012
- Italian PM's wife seeks 43 mn euros a year in divorce - Nov 26, 2009
- Italian priest offers couples own money to wed - Jun 12, 2012
- Italian MP wants international probe into Shahzad's murder - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: annulment, catholic authority, catholic church, church weddings, civil divorce, couples, having children, insufficient reason, italy, jan 21, marriage, rome, sacra rota, state recognition, stringent laws, supreme court, town hall, veneto region