Court declares Norway killer saneApril 10th, 2012 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 10 (IANS) A court in Norwegian capital Oslo has said mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in a shooting spree in July last year, was sane during at the time of his actions, and sane enough to face trial and a jail term.
An evaluation published in November had found him legally insane, but a second psychiatric evaluation has contradicted the earlier report, BBC said Tuesday.
The 33-year-old has confessed to killing 77 people and injuring 151 in twin attacks in Oslo, but has not accepted the charge of committing acts of terror.
He said the car bombing and a shooting spree at a summer camp for Labour Party activists on Utoeya island was part of a “crusade” against multi-culturalism and Islam.
“The main conclusion of the experts is that Anders Behring Breivik is found to be not psychotic during the time of his actions on July 22, 2011,” the Oslo court said in a statement Tuesday.
“That means that he is considered criminally responsible at the time of the crime.”
Based on his sanity, the court will now decide whether Breivik will be sent to a psychiatric hospital or jail.
Breivik has himself insisted he is mentally stable, and has termed the first psychiatric assessment as “lies”. He said 80 percent of it was wrong.
“To send a political activist to an asylum is more sadistic and more evil than killing him!” he wrote in a letter to Norwegian tabloid Verdans Gang.
- Norway killer terms insanity report as lie - Apr 25, 2012
- Norwegian killer sentenced to 21 years in prison - Aug 24, 2012
- Norway remembers Oslo, Utoeya victims - Jul 22, 2012
- Prosecutors want Norway killer be ruled insane - Jun 22, 2012
- Norwegian mass killer sentenced to 21 years in jail (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Jail Norway killer, don't put him in mental care: Defence - Jun 22, 2012
- Norway mass killer to escape trial - Nov 29, 2011
- Norway's mass killer faces court hearing - Jul 25, 2011
- Norway killer officially charged with terrorism - Mar 08, 2012
- Norway police chief resigns over Breivik attack - Aug 17, 2012
- Go to hell: Man tells Norway killer at trial - May 11, 2012
- Norway gunman claims to be sane - Apr 05, 2012
- Norway to build separate psychiatric ward for Breivik - Jun 29, 2012
- Norway killer's friends viewed him as gay - May 29, 2012
- Norwegian killer mulls autobiography - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: asylum, bbc, behring, car bombing, crusade, islam, jail term, labour party, mass murderer, multi culturalism, norwegian capital, oslo, party activists, political activist, psychiatric assessment, psychiatric evaluation, psychiatric hospital, sanity, shooting spree, summer camp