Court declares Norway killer sane

April 10th, 2012 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS  

London, April 10 (IANS) A court in Norwegian capital Oslo has said mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in a shooting spree in July last year, was sane during at the time of his actions, and sane enough to face trial and a jail term.

An evaluation published in November had found him legally insane, but a second psychiatric evaluation has contradicted the earlier report, BBC said Tuesday.

The 33-year-old has confessed to killing 77 people and injuring 151 in twin attacks in Oslo, but has not accepted the charge of committing acts of terror.

He said the car bombing and a shooting spree at a summer camp for Labour Party activists on Utoeya island was part of a “crusade” against multi-culturalism and Islam.

“The main conclusion of the experts is that Anders Behring Breivik is found to be not psychotic during the time of his actions on July 22, 2011,” the Oslo court said in a statement Tuesday.

“That means that he is considered criminally responsible at the time of the crime.”

Based on his sanity, the court will now decide whether Breivik will be sent to a psychiatric hospital or jail.

Breivik has himself insisted he is mentally stable, and has termed the first psychiatric assessment as “lies”. He said 80 percent of it was wrong.

“To send a political activist to an asylum is more sadistic and more evil than killing him!” he wrote in a letter to Norwegian tabloid Verdans Gang.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe