Couples desperate for kids taking advantage of relaxed Indian surrogacy lawsDecember 23rd, 2009 - 2:19 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec. 23 (ANI): Couples in the West, who are desperate to have children, are reportedly turning to India where surrogacy laws are more relaxed to fulfill their objectives.
According to Sky News, a womb in India can be rented for a few thousand pounds and IVF treatment is a fraction of what it costs in the West.
It quotes Dr. Anil Gupta as saying: “My criteria is very strict. The surrogate must be healthy and she must already have a family with at least one or two children of her own, minimum. She must not be doing this primarily for financial reasons but because she wants to help another family.”
Dr Gupta says he gets about fifteen international patients every month seeking a surrogate.
Dr Gupta defends surrogacy.Most of the time he uses eggs and sperm harvested from the couple and then implants the embryo into the Indian surrogate. The couple then pay all the surrogate’s medical expenses plus lump sums in stages.
By the time a baby is born the woman who has effectively rented out her womb stands to make around 3.5 lakh Indian rupees or around 4,600 pounds at today’s exchange rates.
Bobby and Nikki Baines from Ilford in east London spent nearly a decade and 70,000 pounds on IVT trying to conceive before finally advertised in an Indian paper and finding an Indian woman who was prepared to carry their child.
Now they have a baby daughter whom they have called Daisy.
Dr Gupta believes India’s so-called baby factories have got an unfairly poor reputation: “Everyone gets something out of this,” he says matter-of-factly. (ANI)
- India becoming a designer baby factory: Author Kishwar Desai (With Image) - May 31, 2012
- Britons pay Indians to become surrogate mothers: Report - May 27, 2012
- Counselling surrogate moms to give up their babies - Jan 15, 2012
- Indian surrogacy brings twin delights to Australian couple - Jan 08, 2012
- Rent-a-womb: India becoming surrogate pregnancy hub - Feb 15, 2011
- Women's rights being violated in India's surrogacy capital - Mar 02, 2012
- Spanish gay couple's child dream comes true in India - Feb 16, 2011
- India a surrogate mum's hub for foreign tourists - Jun 08, 2010
- Parents of octuplets in China face hefty fines - Dec 21, 2011
- Chinese couple have eight babies using IVF - Dec 19, 2011
- Questions raised over 'outsourcing' of baby-making to India - Dec 11, 2009
- Healthy baby born from embryo frozen 20 years ago - Oct 11, 2010
- Healthy baby conceived from 20-year-old embryo - Oct 11, 2010
- Aamir, Kiran blessed with a son - Dec 05, 2011
- Oz gay couple paying 80, 000 dollars to Indian women to have surrogate babies - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: anil gupta, baby daughter, dr gupta, east london, embryo, factories, family dr, indian rupees, indian woman, international patients, ivt, lump sums, medical expenses, poor reputation, sky news, sperm, surrogacy laws, surrogate, thousand pounds, womb