Couple smuggles baby without visa in bagJuly 9th, 2012 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 9 (IANS) A couple was caught trying to smuggle their baby into the UAE when airport security spotted the five-month-old hidden in their luggage, it was reported here Monday.
The Egyptian husband and wife reportedly arrived at Sharjah International Airport Friday night but were denied entry as they did not have a visa for the newborn, the Daily Mail reported.
Airport authorities allowed them to stay until the relevant office re-opened on the Sunday but, getting impatient, they decided to chance their luck when the shift staff changed.
They stashed the baby into a bag and bundled him through the scanner. But their plan became unstuck when security staff noticed the outline of the body on the screen.
A Sharjah Police spokesman said: “They were risking the life of the baby.
“They said in an interrogation they’d resorted to sneaking him through inside a bag because he did not have a passport or visa and they wanted to have him with them in the UAE.”
It is unclear how the child was initially placed onto the aircraft without a passport.
- Parents held after trying to smuggle baby through airport scanner - Jul 10, 2012
- Woman strangles her newborn baby in Dubai airport - Dec 28, 2010
- Hooda stopped at airport twice - May 21, 2011
- Baby in pram falls into Thames - Sep 02, 2012
- Indian missions in UAE announce special Ramadan timings - Jul 29, 2011
- Pakistani doctor held for selling babies - Jun 04, 2011
- Indian filmmaker Vijay Kumar leaves US (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 15, 2010
- Newborn baby left in airplane bin in Philippines - Sep 12, 2010
- Indian filmmaker set to return home after pleading guilty - Sep 09, 2010
- Power cut hits London's Gatwick airport - Mar 10, 2012
- Fake US dollars seized in Dubai - Feb 02, 2011
- Sharjah ruler writes off two citizens' debts - Apr 14, 2012
- Air Arabia introduces new baggage policy - Jun 24, 2012
- UAE launches major tourism project - May 02, 2012
- Panic-stricken Mubarak's family flees Egypt - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: airport authorities, airport security, daily mail, friday night, husband and wife, interrogation, london, luggage, passport, police spokesman, relevant office, scanner, security staff, sharjah international airport, sharjah police, uae, visa