Couple jailed for 7yrs for holding five Thai women as sex slavesDecember 18th, 2010 - 6:30 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Dec 18 (ANI): A couple in Australia, who held five Thai women as sex slaves in a Fairfield brothel, has been jailed for at least seven years.
Trevor McIvor, 63, and his Thai-born wife, Kanokporn Tanuchit, 42, forced the women to work at their brothel, Marilyns, seven days a week, to pay back a 45,000-dollar debt each was told was the price for a tourist visa.
The women, known by their working names Jasmine, Nicky, Yoko, Suzie and Sophie, were often abused and humiliated. They could not refuse clients, were put at risk of sexually transmitted infections and were forced to work when sick, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
Their passports were confiscated, phone access was restricted and Tanuchit told them their families in Thailand would be harmed if they tried to escape.
They escaped after one of the women, Yoko, secretly contacted the Thai consul general in 2006. The police and immigration officials raided the premises the following day and found the women in an unlit locked room.
Judge, Johnathan Williams said the two “traded in human misery and poverty” and their punishment would serve as a warning to others in the “morally reprehensible” sex slave trade.
The pair, who has two young children, was the first people in NSW to be convicted under sexual servitude laws in 2008.
The conviction was quashed on appeal, but in a retrial earlier this year they were found guilty of five counts of possessing a slave and five counts of using a slave.
In the District Court, the defendants were sentenced to a maximum 12 years jail, with a non-parole period of 7 and half years for McIvor and seven years for Tanuchit. (ANI)
- Sydney couple forced five women to live in 'conditions of slavery' - May 10, 2010
- Indian-American treats wife as slave; gets away with probation - May 24, 2012
- Russian woman to be extradited from Spain for trafficking - May 05, 2011
- It's official! Sydney is the sex capital of Australia - Nov 12, 2010
- Portsmouth coach's palour owner flees to Thailand - Feb 06, 2010
- New Zealand double murderer gets 23-year prison term - Jan 29, 2010
- Court martial begins in US military base sex scandal - Jul 17, 2012
- Man jailed for car crash that killed three - Oct 25, 2011
- Minors rescued from Delhi brothel - Aug 18, 2012
- Oz man, who 'felt a thrill' while sexually abusing friend's children, jailed - Feb 23, 2011
- UN group honours Indian campaigner against sex trafficking - May 14, 2011
- Pakistani-origin man charged with murdering Thai lover - May 31, 2012
- 12,000 foreign 'sex slaves' work in British brothels - Aug 19, 2010
- Parents Sold Daughter To Couple Who Used Her As A Slave - Nov 17, 2010
- Ex-Israeli president convicted of rape - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: born wife, brothel, consul general, dollar debt, human misery, immigration officials, jasmine, johnathan williams, morning herald, passports, retrial, sex slave trade, sex slaves, suzie, sydney morning herald, thai consul, thai women, tourist visa, trevor mcivor, yoko