Country remembers its Kargil war heroesJuly 26th, 2008 - 11:08 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar , July 26 (ANI): Indian Army in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday paid tributes to its 1999 Kargil heroes who sacrificed their lives while flushing out Pakistani soldiers in an undeclared war.
Nearly 500 soldiers died on the snow-capped peaks of Kargil in the campaign to oust hundreds of fighters who crossed into Indian territory from Pakistan in the summer of 1999.
The day is observed as ”Vijay Divas”.
We observe the day as ”Vijay Divas”, to remember our soldiers who successfully fought the intruders and sacrificed their life to make our borders safe, said Major General D.M. Chaudhary, General Officer Commanding, Tiger Division in Jammu .
The face-off in the Kargil mountains nearly brought nuclear- capable India and Pakistan to the brink of their fourth full-scale war.
India saw the fighting in the Kargil sector of Kashmir as an undeclared war with Pakistan . Pakistan denied any involvement in the intrusion saying Kashmiri militants had occupied the heights.
Indian army, backed by air force fighter jets and gunships, could evict the intruders from the icy heights only after a nearly three-month long haul.
India and Pakistan have introduced a number of confidence-building measures after nearly coming eyeball to eyeball in 2002 after Islamic militants raided Parliament on December 13, 2001.
More than 45,000 people have been killed in anti-India revolt by separatists in Indian Kashmir since 1989. (ANI)
- Kargil martyrs remembered on Vijay Diwas - Jul 26, 2012
- Families of Kargil martyrs prevented from paying homage in Hyderabad - Jul 26, 2009
- Indian Army celebrates Kargil war Victory Day - Jul 26, 2011
- Kargil martyr's parents look to SC, president for hope - Jul 26, 2012
- Remembering Kargil heroes, 11 years after victory - Jul 25, 2010
- Army's Northern Command observes Raising Day - Jun 17, 2010
- Vikram Batra's family demands mention of war history in textbooks - Jul 26, 2009
- Antony pays tribute to Kargil martyrs - Jul 26, 2010
- Kargil to be a major air base by 2016 - Oct 03, 2011
- BJP to observe Kargil victory day on July 26 - Jul 21, 2010
- Intruder killed on India-Pakistan border - Jan 26, 2012
- Antony refuses to set deadline for war memorial - Jul 26, 2012
- Indian-origin British lawyer fights for Kargil martyr - Dec 11, 2011
- Indian Army recalls 1971 victory - Dec 16, 2011
- Dhoni visits Kargil, pays homage to martyrs of 1999 - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: air force fighter jets, confidence building, eyeball to eyeball, gunships, india and pakistan, indian army, indian kashmir, indian territory, intruders, islamic militants, jammu and kashmir, kargil heroes, kargil sector, kargil war heroes, kashmir, pakistani soldiers, scale war, separatists, tiger division, undeclared war