Coulthard confirms this season is his last as a F1 driver

July 4th, 2008 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS  

DPA
Silverstone (Britain), July 4 (DPA) David Coulthard confirmed that the 2008 season will be his last as a Formula One driver but that he will stay on at his Red Bull Racing team as a consultant and development driver. “I would like to announce today my decision to retire from racing in Formula One at the end of this season,” the 37-year-old Scot said in a statement issued at Silverstone ahead of this weekend’s British Grand Prix.

“I will remain actively involved in the sport as a consultant to Red Bull Racing, focusing on testing and development of the cars.”

Coulthard said he made his decision to quit F1 after 15 years earlier in the year and wanted to bow out while he was still competitive.

Coulthard made his debut in 1994 for Williams following Ayrton Senna’s death. Nine years at McLaren-Mercedes followed before he moved to Red Bull in 2005.

Sebastian Vettel is believed to be in the running as Coulthard’s replacement.
DPA

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe