Costa Rican court rules male inmate can wear women’s clothesMay 7th, 2012 - 12:17 pm ICT by IANS
San Jose, May 7 (IANS/EFE) The Constitutional Chamber of Costa Rica’s Supreme Court ordered prison officials to allow a male inmate to dress in women’s clothing after he claimed that they forbade him to do so, the La Nacion newspaper reported Sunday.
David Avila Ulloa, who changed his name to Sherlyn Tatiana, has been in prison since March 2011 for drug trafficking. A few months after being incarcerated he filed a request for protection with the Constitutional Chamber, saying that officials at the La Reforma prison some 12 km west of San Jose prevented him from dressing as a woman.
The court ruled in Avila’s favour March 30, but prison officials have not done anything regarding the case yet because they have not been presented with the comprehensive ruling, La Nacion said.
The justices said in their ruling, however, that Avila may dress “as a woman or in the way that he wants, provided that such clothing is not obviously scandalous or is displayed in an act … whereby it affects the order or the security of the penal center”.
The 22-year-old inmate said that he liked to use female accoutrements, jewellery and makeup even when he was a child. He added that discrimination in the prison is “very strong”, with prison staff not viewing him as either man or woman but rather “as an animal”.
“They told me that if I wanted to go to the school (where the prisoners study) I had to dress like a man and they returned me. Sometimes, due to my desire to study, I transformed myself,” Avila said.
Several months ago, the inmate was transferred to another prison where he says the authorities were more flexible regarding his sexual orientation.
At the prison, Avila participates in anonymous drug meetings, studies and sings in a musical group, and he says he hopes to be paroled in six months.
- 580 knives seized in Costa Rican prison - Jul 01, 2011
- 1 dead, 50 hurt in El Salvador prison fight - Sep 13, 2010
- 2,000 El Salvador inmates suffer from food poisoning - Jun 20, 2011
- 80 prisoners, 18 guards hurt in Chile jail violence - Dec 17, 2010
- 53 new species found in Costa Rica in 2011 - Dec 28, 2011
- Mexican mayor dies from stroke after ambush - Nov 08, 2010
- 29 prison personnel held over Mexico massacre - Feb 24, 2012
- Venezuelan killed by stray shot from prison - May 10, 2012
- Mexican involved in killing of 49 people arrested - Aug 04, 2012
- Mexican prison director removed after allowing Botox injection on high-profile inmate - Feb 03, 2011
- Herrera sketches `very flirty' woman in new collection - Sep 11, 2012
- Inmate kills girlfriend, stashes body in cell at Peru prison - Nov 30, 2010
- Four die in 50-vehicle pile-up in Chile - Oct 13, 2011
- Puerto Rico busts septuagenarian for selling drugs - Mar 07, 2012
- Mexico to block cell phone signals in prisons - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: authorities, avila, clothes, costa rica, discrimination, drug trafficking, favour, jewellery, la nacion, la reforma, makeup, mj, musical group, prison officials, prison staff, prisoners, sexual orientation, six months, tatiana, ulloa