Corporate conventions aboard Kerala houseboat a hitMay 20th, 2008 - 5:02 pm ICT by admin
Alappuzha (Kerala), May 20 (IANS) Companies tired of hosting their conventions in hotels have turned to a new option: a spacious air-conditioned houseboat floating on the Kerala backwaters. The double-storey, 150-foot long and 16-foot wide Jala Samrat is a fully air-conditioned houseboat which can seat around 160 executives on the first floor and is fitted with state-of-the-art communication systems.
This floating convention centre, arguably the first of its kind, was inaugurated a year ago. It cost the Alappuzha-based Pulickattil Tourism Group around Rs.8 million.
“We have had an excellent business with several commercial banks, central public sector organisations and even foreign companies holding their meetings on board,” said Tomy Pulickattil, who owns Jala Samrat and a dozen other houseboats.
“We are getting bookings for the coming months. We get more and more business through word of mouth. We are working out to see if we can build one more houseboat like this,” said Pulickattil.
Last month, Jala Samrat hosted two central ministers, Parliamentary Affairs and Indian Overseas Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi and Steel, Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister Ram Vilas Paswan, who held meetings with officials attached to their ministries.
When Bahraini Labour Minister Majeed Al Alawi was here an official tour last month, he too held a meeting aboard Jala Samrat.
- Houseboat business struggles to stay afloat (Kerala Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- Two houseboats go up in flames - Aug 30, 2012
- Nehru Boat Race to herald Kerala's new tourist season - Aug 04, 2012
- Kerala Travel Mart visitors marvel at novel houseboat - Sep 21, 2008
- Planning to holiday in Kerala? It's almost houseful! - Dec 07, 2010
- Houseboats become USP of tourist hotspot Kerala - Apr 17, 2010
- Kerala immersed in Onam festivities - Sep 09, 2011
- All charged up for Kerala's snake boat race - Aug 03, 2011
- High on spirit and joy, Kerala embraces 2011 - Jan 01, 2011
- Snake boat race surges ahead, a man's legacy lives on - Aug 12, 2011
- Kerala tourism smiles after National Geographic rating - Nov 16, 2009
- Thousands gather to watch Kerala's Nehru Boat Race - Aug 13, 2011
- Kerala food delights to feature on US TV show (With Images) - Aug 29, 2010
- Floating protest: Kashmir houseboat owners cry foul (With Images) - Mar 19, 2012
- Floating mall on Kerala backwaters catches tourists' eye (With Images) - Feb 21, 2010
Tags: affairs minister, al alawi, art communication, commercial banks, corporate conventions, double storey, fertilisers, jala, kerala backwaters, labour minister, majeed, overseas affairs, parliamentary affairs, public sector organisations, ram vilas paswan, rs 8, samrat, spacious air, tourism group, vayalar ravi