Coral reefs on way to recovery after tsunamiJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 11:57 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 2 (IANS) Coral reefs are on the way to recovery in areas of Indonesia, following the tsunami that devastated coastal regions throughout the Indian Ocean on Dec 26, 2004.The New York based Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) working with Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies (ARCCoERS), has documented high densities of “baby corals” in areas that were severely impacted by the tsunami.
The team, which has surveyed the region’s coral reefs since the tsunami, looked at 60 sites along 800 km of coastline in Aceh, Indonesia.
The researchers attribute the recovery to natural colonisation by resilient coral species, along with the reduction of destructive fishing practices by local communities, said a WCS release.
“On the fourth anniversary of the tsunami, this is a great story of ecosystem resilience and recovery,” said Stuart Campbell, coordinator of the WCS Indonesia Marine Program.
“Our scientific monitoring is showing rapid growth of young corals in areas where the tsunami caused damage, and also the return of new generations of corals in areas previously damaged by destructive fishing. These findings provide new insights into coral recovery processes that can help us manage coral reefs in the face of climate change,” he said.
- Scientists observe rapid recovery of coral reefs in tsunami-hit areas of Indonesia - Dec 27, 2008
- Soaring temps lead to mass coral killing in Indonesia: Study - Aug 17, 2010
- 75 percent of world's coral reefs under threat: report - Feb 24, 2011
- Protect coral reefs, say scientists - Jul 09, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Coral reefs will survive ravages of warming: Scientists - Apr 17, 2012
- 'Stress test' to identify 'reefs of hope' in climate change era - Mar 23, 2011
- World's coral reefs 'at risk due to overfishing, climate change' - Feb 24, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Gujarat coral reefs a virtual gold mine - Mar 27, 2011
- World-class protection boosts Australia's Great Barrier Reef - Feb 23, 2010
- Powerful quake off Philippines triggers small tsunami - Aug 31, 2012
- 'Super reefs' near East Africa can fend off climate change - Apr 24, 2009
- Study finds how sea urchins affect coral reefs' growth - Jan 15, 2011