Cop dies in north Kashmir explosion, another woundedJuly 10th, 2008 - 12:52 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 9 (IANS) A policeman was killed as separatist militants attacked a patrol party in Handwara district of Jammu and Kashmir, even as a police officer escaped unhurt in another attack here Wednesday evening. Police said militants tossed a powerful hand grenade at a team of the Kralgund police station in Handwara in north Kashmir, 75 km from here, in the evening, which exploded and critically injured two cops.
“The two injured policemen were taken to the Handwara district hospital where head constable Fayaz Ahmed Zargar succumbed. The condition of another cop is serious,” a senior police officer told IANS.
“The area was surrounded and searches were conducted,” he added.
Militants made an attempt on the life of a sub-divisional police officer (SDPO) this evening near Bemina in this summer capital while he was returning home.
“Militants hurled a grenade at the vehicle of SDPO Farooq Ahmad Zargar this evening. The grenade, however, missed the target and exploded on the road. No one was hurt,” the official said.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the two explosions.
- Policeman injured in Kashmir grenade attack - Jan 27, 2010
- Five injured in Kashmir blast (Lead) - Oct 26, 2011
- Four injured in Kashmir attack (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Three hurt in Kashmir grenade attack - May 19, 2012
- Four attacks injure four in Kashmir - Oct 25, 2011
- Grenade blasts rock Sopore town in Kashmir - Feb 02, 2011
- Grenade explosion in Srinagar - Feb 16, 2012
- Two tourists killed in Kashmir grenade attack - Jul 28, 2012
- Two CRPF men injured in Srinagar - Mar 15, 2012
- Two tourists killed in Kashmir grenade attack (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Five civilians injured in Kashmir - Aug 25, 2011
- Mob attacks cops after farmer's death - Feb 22, 2011
- Engineer injured in Srinagar blast dies - Mar 01, 2011
- Guerrillas shoot cop in Kashmir - Jun 30, 2011
- One killed, four injured in Kashmir (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: ahmad, ahmed, cop, explosions, farooq, fayaz, hand grenade, head constable, jammu, kashmir, north kashmir, police officer, police station, policeman, policemen, returning home, separatist militants, srinagar, target, wednesday evening