Controversial Danish cartoonist’s work raises money for HaitiJanuary 24th, 2010 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
Copenhagen, Jan 24 (DPA) A watercolour by the Danish newspaper cartoonist who caused outrage among Muslims worldwide in 2006 has raised $19,000 for the benefit of earthquake-ravaged Haiti, media reports said Sunday.
Kurt Westergaard’s non-political watercolour with various motifs was sold at an online auction organised by a gallery in Skanderborg, western Denmark, the Politiken newspaper reported.
Interest was so high that the gallery’s email server went down, so there could perhaps be even higher bids, Galleri Draupner owner Erik Guldager told the newspaper.
Guldager offered to stage the auction after auctioneers Lauritz.com earlier this week said it would not sell the water colour over fears for its staff’s security.
Westergaard, 74, is best known for his controversial cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed with a bomb in his turban. It was one of 12 images published in September 2005 by the newspaper Jyllands-Posten.
The cartoons sparked outrage among Muslims and violent protests worldwide in early 2006. Westergaard has since been the target of several assassination plots. A Somali-born man was arrested Jan 1 for breaking into the cartoonist’s home in western Denmark and threatening him.
- Controversial Danish cartoonist to publish memoirs - Aug 10, 2010
- Controversial Danish cartoonist plans to retire - Apr 22, 2010
- Police mull bodyguard for threatened Danish cartoonist - Jan 03, 2010
- Controversial cartoons: From arrests to murder attempts - May 11, 2012
- Norwegian newspaper reprints controversial Islam cartoons - Jan 08, 2010
- Swedish newspapers reprint Prophet cartoon - Mar 10, 2010
- Danish cartoonist escapes attack by Somali (Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Danish cartoonist survives murder bid - Jan 02, 2010
- Danish 'Mohammed' cartoonist to receive German prize - Sep 07, 2010
- Somali in hospital after attacking Danish cartoonist (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Danish Police arrest five Islamists for foiled terror plot role - Dec 30, 2010
- Muslims need to develop a sense of humour, says controversial Dane cartoonist - Oct 02, 2009
- Block Facebook over blasphemous cartoons: Pakistani court - May 19, 2010
- Blasphemous cartoons in Oslo daily irk Pakistan parliament - Jan 13, 2010
- Terrorists planning to attack Danish newspaper had links with British network - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: auctioneers, cartoon of the prophet, cartoon of the prophet mohammed, controversial cartoon, danish cartoonist, email server, guldager, jan 24, jyllands posten, kurt westergaard, lauritz com, online auction, outrage, skanderborg, target, turban, violent protests, water colour, watercolour, western denmark