Contract murders for just $40 in Mexican cityDecember 17th, 2010 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Dec 17 (IANS/EFE) Poor teenagers in Mexico’s border city of Ciudad Juarez say they have carried out murders on behalf of drug cartels for sums as small as 500 pesos ($40), a media report said, citing Mexico’s Social Development Office.The office says the teen assassins are recruited from the shantytowns springing up around Mexico’s murder capital, which lies just across the Rio Grande from El Paso, Texas.
“To go to school, a kid spends about 42 pesos ($3.50) a day on his transportation. Then they decide not to go to class, so they end up as the neither-nors: they neither study nor work,” the office’s deputy director, Raul Ibanez Marquez, told Milenio newspaper.
More than 3,000 people have been slain this year in Juarez. Authorities blame the carnage on turf battles between rival drug cartels.
The war has taken such a toll on the cartels that they are now actively recruiting adolescents and even pre-teens.
Youngsters in the Juarez slums spoke to researchers about carrying out their first contract killing at 13 in exchange for the equivalent of $40.
A 14-year-old boy accused of beheading enemies of the South Pacific cartel was nabbed recently in the central Mexican state of Morelos.
- Five bullet-riddled bodies found on Mexican highway - Dec 31, 2010
- Mexican city fires 400 cops - May 20, 2011
- Doctor shot dead in Mexican city - Dec 24, 2010
- Violence leaves 8,500 orphans in Mexican border city - Feb 25, 2011
- 1,000 Mexicans held for involvement in sex trade - Jul 25, 2011
- 10 Mexican cops charged with extortion - Apr 17, 2010
- Mexican city's lone police officer kidnapped - Dec 28, 2010
- 13 shot dead inside bar in Mexico - Apr 22, 2012
- Funeral home attacked with fire bombs in Mexico - Mar 02, 2011
- Mexican women's rights activist shot at - Dec 04, 2011
- Mexican border city officials seek ban on video game - Feb 24, 2011
- Mexican psychiatrists seek psychological treatment in US - Sep 29, 2010
- Singer shot at during robbery in Mexican city - Feb 23, 2011
- 300 women killed in 2010 in Mexican border city - Dec 26, 2010
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: 500 pesos, adolescents, assassins, border city, carnage, cartel, deputy director, drug cartels, first contract, mexico city, murder capital, murders, poor teenagers, pre teens, raul ibanez, rio grande, shantytowns, slums, turf battles, youngsters