Contaminated fuel in Israel causes rerouting of over 160 flightsMay 11th, 2011 - 3:50 am ICT by IANS
Nicosia, May 11 (IANS) Over 160 aircraft flying to Israel’s Tel Aviv city have been rerouted to Cyprus since last Thursday following contamination in an international airport’s refuelling system, Xinhua reported Tuesday.
A spokesman with Hermes Airports, a company which operates Cyprus’ two airports, told media Tuesday that over 160 aircraft are expected to make stopover at Larnaca and Paphos airports in Cyprus by midnight for refuelling since jet fuel at Ben Gurion airport was detected contaminated May 5.
Ben Gurion airport is the largest and busiest international airport in Israel.
Israeli and foreign airlines’ flights had to be diverted to Cyprus or Jordan, as Israeli authorities expect the problem to be solved by Wednesday night.
Their destinations include European and American airports such as Munich, Zurich, Paris, Luton, New York and Philadelphia.
An initial investigation has found mold and bacteria in the jet fuel, but Israeli authorities were yet to know what led to the contamination.
- Israel deports activists detained from aid flotilla - Jun 01, 2010
- Egypt Air strikes out Israel from route map - Mar 26, 2011
- Israel's arms manufacturer sues Georgia for $100mn debt - Apr 11, 2011
- Deportation of Gaza aid ship passengers delayed - Jun 06, 2010
- Did first humans emerge from Middle East, not Africa? - Dec 28, 2010
- 'Israel will need 100 planes to attack Iran' - Feb 20, 2012
- Palestine ready to begin construction of West Bank International airport - Oct 21, 2010
- Israel deports jailed Gaza aid activists - Jun 02, 2010
- Planes with nine bodies, hundreds of activists leave Israel (Lead) - Jun 03, 2010
- Israel fears more rocket attacks - Mar 27, 2012
- Like Spock's Tricorder, sensor to identify contaminants - Nov 03, 2011
- Israeli technology minimizes bird hits in flight - Feb 08, 2012
- 10 die as Israeli navy strikes Gaza aid ships - May 31, 2010
- How Israelis 'armed junta' in Falklands conflict revealed - Apr 21, 2011
- Krishna to boost ties with Middle East, Israel - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: airlines flights, american airports, bacteria, ben gurion airport, contaminated fuel, contamination, foreign airlines, hermes, initial investigation, israeli authorities, jet fuel, larnaca, last thursday, luton, mold, paphos, stopover, tel aviv city, xinhua, zurich