Conflict in Pakistan left over 500,000 displaced: UN (Lead)May 12th, 2009 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Geneva, May 12 (DPA) The UN refugee agency said Tuesday it has registered 501,496 people so far in a new influx of displaced people fleeing violence in northwest Pakistan.
They join 550,000 people displaced late last year who have since not returned home.
The UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) meanwhile reported it had sent 120 tonnes of aid, mostly emergency shelter supplies and mosquito nets, to the region.
Among those fleeing were a small number of Afghans who were in Pakistan as refugees having escaped their home country due to the violence there. About 1,000 have asked to return to Afghanistan.
The head of the UNHCR, Antonio Guterres, said in a statement that more resources were needed to deal with the developing situation. He noted that Pakistanis in the affected region have been “extremely generous” to Afghan refugees but now find themselves in need of assistance.
Spokesman Ron Redmond said in Geneva that local residents of safe zones “have opened their doors to receive people fleeing the fighting”.
The World Food Programme said it was feeding some 645,000 people, though this was made difficult as the vast majority were not living in refugee camps but with other people.
Some UN agencies as well as the International Committee of the Red Cross have said they have no access to Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province.
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- 100,000 people displaced in Pakistan this year - Mar 31, 2012
- UN deplores killing of Somali refugee leader at Kenya camp - Jan 01, 2012
- Mali situation under close watch: UNHCR - Mar 23, 2012
- Over 100,000 flee fighting in northwestern Pakistan: UNHCR - Mar 31, 2012
- Pakistan's displaced cross 500,000 mark, Rs.1 bn released for relief (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 12, 2009
- 80,000 displaced in Myanmar unrest - Jul 28, 2012
- Number of Syria refugees rises to 200,000: UN - Aug 26, 2012
- Pakistan repatriates over 3.7 mn Afghan refugees - Jan 04, 2012
- UN observes World Refugee Day - Jun 21, 2012
- Sri Lankan refugees return from India - Oct 12, 2011
- 150,000 Afghan refugees to leave Pakistan - Jun 18, 2012
- Syria refugees in neighbouring countries on rise - Aug 18, 2012
- Afghans are top asylum seekers in the West: UN - Mar 23, 2010
- Over 750,000 people became refugees in 2011 - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: afghan refugees, afghans, antonio guterres, emergency shelter, fighting the world, frontier province, geneva, influx, international committee of the red cross, mosquito, mosquito nets, north west frontier, pakistanis, refugee agency, refugee camps, ron redmond, tonnes, un high commission for refugees, unhcr, world food