Commuting long distances bad for healthOctober 31st, 2011 - 12:06 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 31 (IANS) Daily long distance commuting seems worthwhile if it is for a better job or house, but it could be bad for your health.
New research shows that commuting by car or public transport, compared to walking or cycling, is tied with negative effects on health.
Lund University researchers looked at 21,000 people, aged between 18 and 65, who worked over 30 hours a week and commuted either by car, train or bus, or were active commuters, who walked or cycled, reports the journal BMC Public Health.
‘One way’ journey time was compared to the volunteer’s perceived general health, including sleep quality, exhaustion and everyday stress, according to a Lund statement.
“Generally car and public transport users suffered more everyday stress, poorer sleep quality, exhaustion” explained Erik Hansson from the Lund Faculty of Medicine.
On a seven point scale, we felt they struggled with their health compared to those who walked or cycled to workplaces,” Hansson added.
The negative health of public transport users increased with journey time. However, the car drivers who commuted 30-60 minutes experienced worse health than those whose journey
lasted more than one hour.
- Sound from MP3 players eclipses environmental noise - Dec 22, 2011
- Women suffer more than men while commuting - Aug 24, 2011
- Health benefits associated with urban cycling outweigh risks - Jul 04, 2010
- Abu Dhabi to have separate paths for cycling - May 01, 2011
- Cycling seen as one of biggest causes of heart attacks - Feb 24, 2011
- Conflicts, stress at work can trigger taking sick leave - Mar 23, 2011
- 'Active travel' one of the keys to healthy lifestyle - Aug 20, 2010
- Poor sleep aggravates young diabetics' condition - Jan 01, 2012
- Cycling to work? Growing movement to tackle mobility crisis (Feature) - Mar 25, 2012
- People in jobs sleep better than jobless - Mar 07, 2011
- Walking, cycling linked to healthier weights - Aug 25, 2010
- Quality of your sleep tells how happy you are at work - Mar 05, 2011
- Too much or too little sleep may accelerate cognitive aging by 4 to 7 years - May 02, 2011
- Cyclists at higher risk from inhaled soot - Sep 26, 2011
- Dangerous driving tops list of 'sins of commuting' in Malaysia - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,