Commonwealth may suspend Pak from its membership for a second time in eight yearsNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:38 am ICT by admin
Pakistan was last suspended in 1999 after General Musharraf overthrew former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in a bloodless coup.
African states, which have been warned against staging military coups, feel strongly that they were duped by Britain into allowing Pakistan back into the Commonwealth in 2004 with a promise from General Musharraf that he would doff his uniform.
In a worst-case scenario, the issue of Pakistan’s membership could even spill over into the contest for the leadership of the Commonwealth, which is due to elect a new secretary general in Kampala.
The Indian High Commissioner to London, Kamalesh Sharma, who had been widely expected to gain a consensus, is running against Maltese Foreign Minister Michael Frendo, the present chair of the action group.
The Africans may also call for the reopening of the issue of the membership of Zimbabwe, which left the organisation before it was expelled over President Robert Mugabe’s failure to hold free and fair elections. (ANI)
- Commonwealth appoints special envoy to Maldives - Mar 02, 2012
- Kamalesh Sharma elected chancellor of Queen's University Belfast - Aug 25, 2009
- Ties with Israel can bring India-Pakistan closer: Musharraf - Jan 07, 2012
- Man attempts to throw shoe at Musharraf - Nov 05, 2011
- Nawaz Sharif a liar, says Musharraf - Jun 25, 2011
- Musharraf to return home Jan 25 or 27 - Jan 06, 2012
- Kamalesh Sharma reappointed Commonwealth secretary general (Lead) - Oct 30, 2011
- Commonwealth to intervene in democracy subversion, rights monitor stalled - Oct 28, 2011
- Musharraf selects seat in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to contest poll - Nov 22, 2010
- Musharraf's launch of party draws hostile response - Oct 02, 2010
- Gilani assures Musharraf of 'warm welcome' by Chief Justice on his return to Pak - Sep 14, 2010
- Don't put yourself in the line of fire, Daily tells Musharraf - Apr 19, 2011
- Nawaz Sharif 'brainless', says Musharraf - Oct 03, 2010
- Musharraf knew about Osama hideout: Ex-ISI chief - Feb 15, 2012
- Fiji strongman challenges Commonwealth to suspend membership - Mar 05, 2009
Tags: africans, bloodless coup, commonwealth, feel strongly that, former prime minister, general musharraf, indian high commissioner, kampala, maltese, military coups, minister nawaz sharif, pakistan, president robert mugabe, prime minister nawaz, worst case scenario