Commonwealth appoints special envoy to MaldivesMarch 2nd, 2012 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Male, March 2 (IANS) The 54-member Commonwealth of Nations Friday appointed Donald McKinnon as its special envoy to the Maldives.
McKinnon will “encourage inclusive agreement among political leaders, promote consolidation of democratic culture and institutions and Commonwealth values”, Commonwealth Secretary-General Kamalesh Sharma said.
His appointment was decided at the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group (CMAG) meeting in London last week, the Haveeru Daily reported. McKinnon is a former Commonwealth secretary-general.
The CMAG has suspended the Maldives from its membership until an independent and impartial investigation of the recent political unrest is completed.
Then president Mohamed Nasheed was forced to resign Feb 7 in the wake of widespread opposition protests. Then vice president Mohamed Waheed Hassan had succeeded him.
“These are very serious times for Maldives. Cooperation and a shared sense of national interest are required, as well as restraint,” Sharma said after McKinnon’s appointment.
“The Commonwealth at large is fully committed to assisting Maldives,” he said.
Maldives President Mohamed Waheed Hassan Friday announced a probe into the political unrest that swept the country. The turmoil between Jan 14 and Feb 8 in the country forced the then president Mohamed Nasheed to resign.
- Commonwealth, US welcome Maldives report on power change - Aug 31, 2012
- UN chief hails report on power transfer in Maldives - Aug 31, 2012
- Maldives proposes presidential polls in 2013 - Apr 18, 2012
- Male to probe unrest - Mar 02, 2012
- Maldives to probe allegation of coup to oust Nasheed (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- UN envoy calls for dialogue in Maldives - Feb 10, 2012
- Nasheed's supporters rally against new Maldives government - Feb 12, 2012
- Protests as Maldives president addresses parliament - Mar 19, 2012
- US official reaches Maldives - Feb 11, 2012
- US favours independent probe in Maldives - Feb 14, 2012
- Mathai leaves for Maldives - Feb 15, 2012
- Nasheed not to seek asylum in Sri Lanka: Daily - Feb 12, 2012
- Maldives sets up probe commission on power transfer - Feb 22, 2012
- Arrest Nasheed: Maldives court - Feb 09, 2012
- 30 held in Maldives after protest against president's speech - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: appointment, cmag, commonwealth of nations, commonwealth secretary, democratic culture, donald mckinnon, hassan, haveeru, impartial investigation, maldives, ministerial action group, nasheed, national interest, opposition protests, political leaders, political unrest, president mohamed, secretary general, turmoil, waheed