Commercial flights to use biofuel from next yearDecember 18th, 2010 - 2:58 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Dec 18 (ANI): Biofuel would reportedly be used by commercial flights from next year.
Lufthansa has announced that it would begin a six-month trial of biofuel on scheduled flights within Germany from April next year.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the company would use a 50-50 mix of biofuel, which is being touted as a more sustainable alternative to standard fuel and kerosene, on an Airbus on the Hamburg-Frankfurt route.
Lufthansa says that the trial would save about 1500 tonnes of CO2 emissions and would also use biofuel from sustainable sources.
“No rainforest will be deforested for Lufthansa biofuel. Our licensed suppliers must provide proof of the sustainability of their processes,” the paper quoted Wolfgang Mayrhuber, the chief executive of Lufthansa, as saying.
Lufthansa says the main purpose of the trial is to study the implications of biofuel for engine maintenance and engine life.
The biofuel research project will cost the airline over 8,095,000 dollars and is expected to face some challenges like being able to refuel the aircraft in only one place. (ANI)
- Lufthansa names Christoph Franz as new CEO - Sep 23, 2010
- Chinese plane flies on biofuel - Oct 28, 2011
- Lufthansa to cancel 1,200 flights Friday - Sep 07, 2012
- 'Air India may have to wait longer to join Star Alliance' - Jan 23, 2010
- Successful biofuel flight conducted in Mexico - Apr 03, 2011
- Mexico flies first plane with bio-fuel - Apr 03, 2011
- Lufthansa Group to increase flights from India - Jun 24, 2010
- India readies to select mid-air refueler - Mar 21, 2012
- Finnair to operate its first biofuel powered flight - Jul 14, 2011
- Etihad, Alitalia to launch Rome-Abu Dhabi flights - Aug 25, 2012
- Lufthansa to fly new B747-8 aircraft on India route - Jul 09, 2012
- Lufthansa strike cancels 300 flights - Sep 05, 2012
- German airspace partially reopened - Apr 18, 2010
- Lufthansa plans to fly Airbus A380 to India in winter - May 19, 2010
- Algal oil answer to dwindling fuel reserves - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,